hmm... how to include DX ?

Started by
5 comments, last by misterX 21 years, 9 months ago
hi, i''m new to c++ (not to programming) and knows nothing about the compiler (actually VC++ 5.0). The problem is i don''t know what actions i should do to make the samples from the DX SDK run. I included the corresponding ''lib'' and ''include'' paths as standart paths in VC options... but that seems not enough, the examples don''t compile, it don''t recognize any type of DX ! What have i to do? thanks.
Advertisement
Um... when you included the search path like you said, were they put at the top of the list of possible paths? That''s all I can think of. But I''d reccomend buying a book about DirectX first, like "Tricks of the Windows Game Programming Gurus" second edition.
---Will DDR for food.
You also have to include the individual lib files for your projects under projects settings, link.

You really ought to get a good book to help you out with DirectX, like Tricks of the Windows Game Programming Gurus, as mentioned by Weston, or get Zen of Direct3D... it''ll help you out alot.
laziness is the foundation of efficiency | www.AdrianWalker.info | Adventures in Game Production | @zer0wolf - Twitter
quote:
...include the individual lib files for your projects under projects settings, link...

=> was done. no changes, the problem remains the same: it still won''t compile. also, i''ve an old book about DX (5) but they don''t speak about the VC environement.

quote:
...put at the top of the list...

=> despite of not beleiving it would change anything, i''ve changed the order of the paths to put them on top. Result: it works!!! I''m very suprised :-O, this was really unexpected! I thought all this pathes were included and that their order didn''t change anything, but as i see, it is not!
Thanks.
Do you have the direct x libs?

Also, if you r copying and pasting out of the tutorials of DX 8 in cpp, that is not the full source code, they are just showing fragments of the most important parts.
I need money...Will you give me money?Please!I need money...Will you give me money?......
They already got it to work, the path just wasn''t at the top of the list.

Help points: 1 (Eh... I have to start somewhere)
---Will DDR for food.
If anyone is wondering, the reason the paths need to be on the top is that VC coems with the headers and libs for an earlier version of DirectX (5.0?). They will be included instead of the DX8 ones if you don''t have the DX8 paths on top.
Those who dance are considered insane by those who cannot hear the music.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement