OpenGL is hard!

Started by
35 comments, last by drdarkon 20 years, 6 months ago
Hello everyone, I had a question relating to OpenGL sorta. I was wondering how long it took you guys to get good at OpenGL to where you could make your own games using either your own engine or another engine. I recently purchased OpenGL programming by Kevin Hawkins and Dave Astle. I have found how diffuicult 3d programming is! I have gotten to about chapter 8 and I understand the stuff for the most part but it is still quite difficult. I was thinking that I can finish the book and then try and make a game using the engine that is packaged with the book that they created. Is this a good idea or should I try and make my own engine? I figured I should stick with using their engine until I REALLY understand everything. It is possible to make a little game, kinda like A TIME TO KILL, by myself with there engine correct? Okay well thanks, I was just wanting some advice and guidance...hehe.. anyway. Thanks in advance - Jesse Barksdale
Thanks
Advertisement
OK, the topic is *slightly* misleading. OpenGL is not hard.
3D programming is hard. OpenGL makes it EASIER to program
in 3D!

Finish the book, play with the engine, and if you feel like
it, make your own!

~~~~
Kami no Itte ga ore ni zettai naru!
神はサイコロを振らない!
From *my* experience, I always find making your own engine is so much more fulfilling.
While it takes alot more time, you actually learn and understand whats going on instead of using that time trying to figure out someone else''s engine.

Also if you think OpenGL is hard, you should give DirectX and go.. 10x more complicated IMO.
quote:Original post by Darjk
Also if you think OpenGL is hard, you should give DirectX and go.. 10x more complicated IMO.

Actually, DirectX is 11.43 times more complicated. They had to change it because the original value, 10, was an unsigned int, and since that was causing them trouble with their macros, they changed how complicated it was to 11.43, which is a signed float.

~Dwarf

----------[Development Journal]
It''s hard in the beginning, but later own you''ll think it''s very easy and you''ll wonder why it took you all that long.. It''s the same all the time.. keep reading!
cya,
Phil

Visit Rarebyte!
and no!, there are NO kangaroos in Austria (I got this questions a few times over in the states )
Visit Rarebyte! and no!, there are NO kangaroos in Austria (I got this question a few times over in the states ;) )
Okay thanks for all the advice. I just did a stupid little cube demo. I think it is neat though! I suppose that is progress. Now that I understand it a bit more it is a bit more fun. Anyway thanks.

- Jesse Barksdale

lol... 11.43
Thanks
quote:Original post by Dwarf with Axe

Actually, DirectX is 11.43 times more complicated. They had to change it because the original value, 10, was an unsigned int, and since that was causing them trouble with their macros, they changed how complicated it was to 11.43, which is a signed float.

~Dwarf

HAHAHAHA!!! LOL!!! ROFLMAO!!! That was great

Just try to create a "stupid little cube demo" using a software renderer created all by yourself. Figure out camera, matrix transforms, scanline rendering, texture mapping, all by yourself.

Then, you''re welcome to post again saying: "OpenGL is easier than stealing candy from a baby!"
Gaiomard Dragon-===(UDIC)===-
How long have you guys been doing OpenGL?

- Jesse Barksdale
Thanks
I started using OpenGL about 2 years ago, but I stopped last year for about 8 months...

--Buzzy
(formerly buzzy_b)
Been doing it for about nine months now, started to write my own engine from about chapers 3 of Hawkin''s book, just starting to find it ''easy''.

I started of with a sphere, now have got into crazy effects and environments.

Keep it up! It''s a cool API.

Regards,
Mathematix.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement