Creating words using Latin...

Started by
23 comments, last by Sage13 21 years, 9 months ago
Hi, I was just wondering, is there a specific way to create words, titles, Names etc. based off of latan words or are they just made up? You know how a lot of english words are based off of Latin words, could I for example take 2 latin words: Atrox[terrible,cruel] and Adonis[man beloved by Venus] and make a word like: Xadons or Atonis? does anyone know how that is suppose to work? thanx -Sage13
Advertisement
A bit off topic:
These days writers are using mathematical names; stuff like Matrix, Vector, and even Pi, just in case you are looking for a source of names.

About the latin, i think its just made up. For example the word Plumbing came from the latin word for lead way back when (i think they used to use lead pipes for tap water...doesn''t sound that smart...your''e probably safe with making it up).
most people arent going to look into the hidden meanings
of your characters names and whatnot anyway..
you figure on average your game will get played for a week
then people will forget about it until the sequel comes out

-eldee;another space monkey;[ Forced Evolution Studios ]
If the game is designed for and marketed to smarter people, they will notice subtle meaning. And even if it's not, the more intelligent of your players will appreciate the effort. I think there's great potential in Latin and other ancient/foreign/dead languages in story and character names.

BTW, did anyone catch the hidden meaning in Deus Ex's main character?

EDIT: "character's name," that is

Later,
ZE.

//email me.//zealouselixir software.//msdn.//n00biez.//
miscellaneous links

[edited by - zealouselixir on July 24, 2002 1:03:50 PM]

[twitter]warrenm[/twitter]

It depends on how much time your willing to spend on this.

It can add a lot of depth to a game and/or it''s plot.

For a game I''m currently writting we''er going to be using quite a bit of Latin. Spells, general chants, backgorund music and curses {as in death crys.}. One of my friends is looking up how to do this in a "Latin for dummies" book. There are also good web sources.

Also interestingly enought there are a lot of people who still know latin.

Back to the question..
"is there a specific way to create words, titles, Names etc. based off of latan words or are they just made up? "

There are specific ways in latin grammer but you could make it up and not a huge amount would be the wiser.

Have fun.. ;}

It is a good day to code.
Armand -------------------------It is a good day to code.
Great, thanx for the information and feedback.

peace

-Sage13

Liquid Moon Team

Project X2

JC Denton? All I got was Deus Ex = God rom a Machine, and JC = Jesus Christ? Am I wrong?

I believe, in response to the statement that this amount of detail is not worthwhile, that attention to detail is something I greatly admire and I feel that it can make a huge difference in the right place.

And now Deus Ex:

While i dont claim to know the actual translation, I do believe that Deus Ex is short for Deus Ex Machina (or similar) and that describes the occurance of a "rescue from above" - established in various plays and stories of old, the principle of the Deus Ex Machina was that when the hero/protagonist had done all that he could do, yet still it was not enough and all looked grim, something miraculous happens.

I thought it was an excellent game btw and I look forward to the next one already in development.
The "god from the machine" is a reference to greek plays; when the author (or developer) wrote himself into a corner, a deity (deus) would be lowered from a crane (machinos, or machina) and dispense with the godly wisdom and omnipotent solutions. A great example of Latin in games is Warhammer 40,000. Games Workshop uses latin for the banners and weapons / armor. Veteran players often add their own latin references to customise their armies. Just my 3 cents.
I''d advise a bit of discipline, i.e. make sure that the meaning behind the name is well suited to the character, and not just slurred together because it sounds cool.

A bit related, Xenogears (PSX) has a lot of names taken from religion and history. For example, the element school in Solaris is named Jugend, which parallels an officer school in ww2 germany. Also, most of the town names are taken from the jewish lunar calendar.

-> Will Bubel
-> Machine wash cold, tumble dry.
william bubel

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement