making a game's engine moddable

Started by
20 comments, last by shurcool 21 years, 9 months ago
quote:Original post by grasshopa55
I''d go with the script approach too. That''s what I plan on doing. I''m going to bundle a toolset, like Neverwinter Nights, although not nearly as complicated or polished. Just enough with some documentation to allow a user to update various game controls and events.

-----------------------------
kevin@mayday-anime.com
http://games.mayday-anime.com

I wouldn''t call ANYTHING related to Neverwinter Nights "polished", or even "working". That game has to be the worst example of professional game development to date (especially after being so highly anticipated).

Advertisement
yoru engine does not sound like it would allow much extensiblity since its a worms clone thus the terrain engine is very specific to be deformable in a certain scenario. i suggest just allow different gaming types (ctf, deathmatch, etc) and weapons. simple stuff. you cant expect to create a full featured modular game like quake3, ut or hl with a very specific engine style.

if you are having trouble with the rest of the game, then its probably a good idea to lower the goals a bit so you do get something done.

also mods should not be created in game, instead a seperate tool should be developed (it will use the same engine) that has debugging and other capabilities. common users wont be modding the game. it sounds like you want to have mods like in ut (ie mutators) which just affect gameplay, not actually recreate the entire game (ie go from first person shooter to 3rd person racing game or sidecroller).

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement