Client Info Organization

Started by
5 comments, last by robirt 21 years, 9 months ago
I have noticed that many mmorpgs say they use a database for client information. what exactly do they mean by this? The reason i ask is because I heard of MySQL and i dont know why anyone would need a lib just for a database, so maybe it is not what i am thinking.
Rodger
Advertisement
I don''t quite understand what you mean? Most client server apps, indluding but not always MMP games, use a database on the backend to store all the information. That is what you were reading about.

They use databases like MS SQL, or Oracle, or MySQL, or PosgresSQL. Having a dedicated database server has unlimited advanatages over storing the information on disk. Ask Verant about the problems they''ve had with storing character information on the hard drives of the servers.

Stephen Manchester
Senior Technical Lead
Virtual Media Vision, Inc.
stephen@virtualmediavision.com
(310) 930-7349
Stephen ManchesterSenior Technical LeadVirtual Media Vision, Inc.stephen@virtualmediavision.com(310) 930-7349
Well I don''t think he''s gonna make an everquest like (talking about the size).

For amateur MMORPG''s (like mine), with no more than a few hundreds players, you can do the storage on your hard-drive with not any problems.
Darkhaven Beta-test stage coming soon.
Why would you want to store it on disk though? Database management systems do much more of a effective and more efficient job storing data then you can, and with systems like MySQL being free now-a-days why would you want to store on the HDD?
Perhaps because it''s just working very well and I don''t have to rely on another server
Darkhaven Beta-test stage coming soon.
What? you guys don''t just buy gigs of RAM and keep all the characters cached in memory? j/k
I remember hearing something about hot HDD platters shattering on a cold flooring tile...

Actually, go with a commercial RDBMS-type of database, but remember that database operations are noticeably time consuming. You will need a good cache mechanism, and will want lots of RAM server-side.

Of course, MUDs typically store data to a hard drive, and they can support hundreds of players. If this is a side-project for the typical hobbyist, use the HDD and have fun
thanks all who responded.

My question is pretty much answered. I guess the database can somehow store data efficiently. although i dont really dont know why, but i will take your word for it, because i dont want my game to have as many problems as everquest!

Now, its time for me to learn to use MySQL. I hope its easy.
Rodger

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement