billboard collision detection

Started by
5 comments, last by McLin 21 years, 9 months ago
hey, if im using billboards to show projectiles(lasers or whatever), what shape should i use to approximate it for collision detection. i wanted to use a cylinder, but cylinder/box intersection is tough. thanks for any input MCLIN
Advertisement
Wouldn`t a box suffice for billboards?

Im Anfang war die Tat...
Faust
Im Anfang war die Tat...Faust
How is cylinder/box collision detection tough? It''s just a sphere-sphere and box-box test.

Using a Sphere is very easy (I use it for bullets in a game I am workign on for instance). A Oriented Box is good though, try that.

"Love all, trust a few. Do wrong to none." - Shakespeare

Dirge - Aurelio Reis
www.CodeFortress.com
Current Causes:
Nissan sues Nissan
"Artificial Intelligence: the art of making computers that behave like the ones in movies."www.CodeFortress.com
thanks dirge. i guess what i really wanted to know is what other ppl use, but for some reason i wanst too articulate (gee, what could possibly have been the problem?).

could you explain how to do that cyl-box test u talked about? i cant seem to see it. i can do box-box and sphere-sphere tests.

MCLIN
Haven''t done them in a while but I believe the cylinder test is a box-box test, then sphere-sphere. That order. This is because a cylinder has characteristics of both.

Go to http://www.realtimerendering.com/int
Look for the cylinder intersection tests.

"Love all, trust a few. Do wrong to none." - Shakespeare

Dirge - Aurelio Reis
www.CodeFortress.com
Current Causes:
Nissan sues Nissan
"Artificial Intelligence: the art of making computers that behave like the ones in movies."www.CodeFortress.com
be accurate, test the plane
spraff.net: don't laugh, I'm still just starting...

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement