meshes won't texture

Started by
5 comments, last by billybob 21 years, 9 months ago
i made a loader and renderer for meshes. it loads and renders, most importantly TEXTURES, the .x files included with the sdk. when i try to load the models that my friend exported from 3D studio, they won't texture. he sent me the skin, it will not work. i've tried exporting in text, binary, binary compressed. i've tried setting the format of the skin to 24 bit, windows and os/2, 8 bit windows and os/2, none work. how the do i make them TEXTURE!!!!!!!! [edited by - billybob on July 27, 2002 9:04:27 PM]
Advertisement
I hate to break it to ya, but your friend must be exporting wrong. Check what the texture filenames are in the mesh and make sure that they match the ones in your directory.

quote:how the fuk do i make them TEXTURE!!!!!!!!

Please don''t use foul language on the forums. It''s rude. We''re not obligated to help you in any way so even getting a response is a privilage. Respect it.

---
My Site
Come join us on IRC in #directxdev @ irc.afternet.org
sorry, i took it out. all hes doing is using the 3D studio plugin that came with the sdk extras. has anyone else used this successfully? i can''t think of any reason why it would do this.
i looked in the text version of it, turns out that there was the directory of his texture on it. but it still doesn''t texture, even after i took off the directory. i tried setting it to its direcotry, but that didn''t work either. HELP!
If you''re using the exporter that microsoft provides, that might be your problem. I''ve had problems in the past with their exporter for Max. It wouldn''t always export the UV coords on meshes correctly.

My suggestion would be to find some other X file exporter, or make your own in MaxScript (it''s really easy to learn).
i just downloaded this panda x file exporter, that one didn''t work. anyone know of any others to try?
i have tried a bunch of .x file exporters i found around, and i think it may be the skin format of our meshes. i went into the .x file manually and replaced the skin with the tiger.bmp, for tiger.x in the sdk. and it worked!! even though it was a hummer model with a tiger skin, it worked. so now i know its the bmp format, does anyone know what the format should be? (ie 8bit, size, windows/os2) i know its not size, becuase i tried resizing the texture to the same as the tiger.bmp, iddn''t work. tried 8bit, didn''t work. tried windows/os2, that didn''t work. so how to i save these to laod with the meshes?

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement