doom3 realtime lighting?

Started by
10 comments, last by ktron 21 years, 8 months ago
hey, i''m just kinda wondering about how carmack is doing that amazing lighting in doom3? Is he using something comparable is direct3d''s shadow volume''s with everything in the game or is he doing something completly different? Just Wondering, Kevin
Advertisement
I''m not sure but I think it''s the truform technology which doom3 is built upon which generates such nice shading :S

regards,
/Omid
No, I don''t think it''s truform tech since truform is ati''s creation. Also, I think I read in an interview with John Carmach that doom3 wouldn''t be complatable with truform. (?)

Anyone else?

thanks,
Kevin
quote:Is he using something comparable is direct3d''s shadow volume''s...

Shadow volumes (note the correct pluralization) are not intrinsic to Direct3D or any other 3D API. I hope you''re aware of that.
Merlin, dude. What''re you? Department of Corrections? I don''t usually respond to say nothing, but why didn''t you correct the whole sentence while you were at it (should have used a ''to'' instead of ''is'')?

Or...you could''ve just told him that they''re not exclusive to DirectX and left it at that. Providing new information to the uninformed is laudable, but making corrections just to show how smart you are is laughable. I hope you''re aware of that.
still, anyone have any other ideas?
He is carmack. He is god, that is all
I don't follow what John Carmack does very closely but I'm sure you can find plenty of info on what he's doing for Doom 3 in some interviews he did post-E3. You might start here: http://www.beyond3d.com/interviews/carmackdoom3.

From what I've seen it looks like per-pixel lighting of the type that MS and NVidia have been selling to ISVs for years now. I'm sure you can find papers on NVidia's site explaining how to do this using D3D and OpenGL.

Truform is a tesselation technology that belongs to ATI. The reason John claimed he didn't want to use it was because his engine is calculating shadow volumes dynamically and all his engine has access to is the low-poly count (pre-tesselation) models. Therefore, even though the model would look great on screen the shadow volume would not match the model.

[edited by - don on August 11, 2002 11:31:58 PM]
Have u ever seen it?
http://www.beyond3d.com/interviews/carmackdoom3/
maybe good for you :D
carmack said the lighting was so good since he unified all surfaces, the lighting on a model is just like the lighting on the environment, the complex part is how he did that, not so much the lighting differences

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement