Of TnL and Q3 File formats

Started by
3 comments, last by ashayh 21 years, 8 months ago
Hi, There are actually 3 questions i want to ask 1> Is hardware Tnl supposed to be explicitly "enabled" in GL(depending on if the 3d chip supports it or not), something similar to the way we enable GL_ARB_. Or does it happen automtically ? 2> How is this done(if it is explicit) in Directx ? 3> While the Q3 file formats .bsp and .md3 are widely used for demo/tutorial purposes, what is their license like ? ie can i use in my own game(commercial or free). Thx Ashay
Advertisement
T&L is always used when it's available. OpenGL has a client/server architecture, which fits in quite nicely with T&L.

[edited by - benjamin bunny on August 15, 2002 5:21:27 AM]

____________________________________________________________www.elf-stone.com | Automated GL Extension Loading: GLee 5.00 for Win32 and Linux

I think you mean available not enabled. It doesn''t make sense otherwise.

To answer the other two questions :

2) When enumerating devices you select a TnL device. Check out the docs for CheckDeviceType()

3) The file formats are freely available for you to use anyway you want. You just can''t use any of the ID tools to create things for anything other than Quake etc. Other tools will have different licences
Hmm, actually you can use the tools to create content for your own games. Since the tools are free they can be used in any manner you see fit. The only thing you need to worry about is original Q3 content. You can''t use any original content in your game, obviously.

Moreover, you CAN create and sell your own completely original content with the Q3 tools. There are several companies that do this already.

- Some Dude
quote:Original post by andrew_j_w
I think you mean available not enabled. It doesn''t make sense otherwise.

Yup. But in my defense, it was the result of much caffiene deprevation.

____________________________________________________________www.elf-stone.com | Automated GL Extension Loading: GLee 5.00 for Win32 and Linux

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement