First Game in 3 Years

Started by
13 comments, last by AeroBLASTER 21 years, 8 months ago
...not only that, but my first game in C++ and the first game that I've come anywhere close to completing. It's just a simple text-based gladiator type game, including leveling up, weapon/armor purchasing, etc. There is no 'end game sequence' (yet), there's only 9 enemies to fight (so far), and the save/load game functions aren't implemented yet, but other than that, it's finished. Also it's not as user-friendly as it could be, but I'll work on that. It's a pretty sucky game, but I personally actually had some fun playing it My domain is down so I uploaded it to geocities... here's the link, just extract wherever. http://www.geocities.com/aeroblaster1033/ArenaRPG.zip [edited by - AeroBLASTER on August 14, 2002 5:31:28 PM]
---DirectX gives me a headache.
Advertisement
cool, gonna try it now.

---
shurcool
wwdev
oh, crap forgot to add one thing in the program the diferrent "Attack Positions" are

1) Torso
2) Legs
3) Head

and each has a different difficulty to hit/damage dealt.

I''ll update the program to dessimate this information to the player and re-upload, but until it''s up...
all right, re-uploaded and the problem is fixed

I''m picturing a game company releasing a game and then saying to the public, "Oh crap! We forgot something, wait don''t play it yet!"

Ahh, to be able to be so loose without being under the iron foot of a publisher... we do have a good hobby, don''t we?
It's not what you're taught, it's what you learn.
Yes, well, all that is resolved, and the final version has been uploaded. Everything is pretty balanced now, the ending is in the game, and all the features work. I did remove saving and loading - I could have implemented it, but it was a lot of trouble for a very short game. So instead I just made it to where you start over at the pre-battle menu upon death (meaning you can win the game, no matter what).

I just wanted to get this out of the door so I can have finished a full game, no matter how small and/or boring

It can be found at the same place as before:

http://www.geocities.com/aeroblaster1033/ArenaRPG.zip
Hi AeroBLASTER. Played your game, think you have a good base game here. Just wanted to provide some feedback.

1 - Needs the ability to quit from anywhere
2 - When I do try to quit here''s what I get:

Would you like to
1) Start over and play again
2) Quit the game2
It''s your turn. Choose your attack position: 2
You missed!

Your Hit Points: -2/24
Enemy''s Hit Points: 2/30

-- I have to Ctrl-C out of the app to actually quit it seems.

Otherwise think everything is good! Congratulations on finishing a game!
Thanks for the feedback! I don''t think I''m going to bother with the code on this project anymore, though - this was basically just a ''learning project'' for C++ and it''s about time for me to move on to DirectX now
Make sure you learn how to complete a project. Completing a project means its finished and things like being able to exit out of it should be addressed. You may not be as done as you think. The last 10% of the project takes 90% of the time.

Marc Hanson
Programmer - Alter Echo
Outrage Games
Yeah its really irritating when I hit him for 5 pts of damage and he has 2 hp left then he hits me for 5 and I die too, garh!!

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement