Everyones making RPGs these days....

Started by
12 comments, last by Zipster 24 years ago
im reading all these posts about RPGs, and people making RPGs, etc.... isn''t there any other genre of game that one could make BESIDE an RPG? (ill bet people are gonna say that RPGs are the easiest, and thats why they chose them )
Advertisement
This looks like a good opportunity to plug my project!

www.btinternet.com/~Matthew.Bennett

It''s a driving game..

I''m hoping to gain a lot more than just a completed game from this project as I hope a lot of what I ''discover'' will be applicable in other projects too. Terrain rendering, collision detection, real-world physics etc etc. Not to mention Win32 and DirectX.

I certainly don''t think RPG''s are easy, but you would need to do a lot of research (game playing?) to create a good one. But me, I can just race around in my own car in the name of research - much more fun I''m sure!

Some of the trouble here might be that all you programmers are clever people that are smart enough to play the most demanding RPG, but sometimes people just want to have fun without exercising the grey matter so lets keep making games for them too.

Now excuse me while a go code...

Matt
I''m not sure exactly why people tend to sway more towards RPG style games, I can only speak for myself. Those are just the type of games I find most immersive, fun, etc...

I like all kinds of games as well, from first person shooters to more stratigic types. When it comes down creation though, RPG''s are where I am most within my element, and never fail to find a good challenge in writing them.

~Vlarr
Lead Programmer, Zephyr Studios
Vlarr@darkenia.com
ICQ # 50607306
~Vlarr
RPGs are popular right now and people want to see something better and make something better. For most it''s a 2d thing. You can make a FULL good game without making a 3D engine. Many though don''t know what they''re getting into especially if they go beyond a 1-screen-at-a-time FF "clone". Questions of inventory and lists and the rest of the data-handling sometimes turn it into DataBase the RPG

ZoomBoy
A 2D RPG(haha) with skills, weapons, and adventure.
See my character editor, Tile editor and diary at
Check out my web-site

Usuallly when someone says check our my cooooool Baldur''s Gate/Diablo/Nethack/Mud killah RPG I just check it out and note out that it is crap. I usually check out and play more humble ones which are just made for own interest and testing. I love to play good rpgs, but not those crap ones. I''m sure that now someone comes here to say don''t talk if you don''t have nothing to show, I can just say, at least I''m not that patheic. I feel sorrow to those one who are just coding their own killah engine and are too arrogant for realizing the facts that they can''t beat some good ones, well there is couple of expetions, Adom, Nethack, Exile and some other smaller ones.

Time comes, time goes and I only am.
Since RPGs ought to possess a high complexity and should give the player the opportunity to do (nearly) everything he wants, it is sure a lot of work to create such a game.
I tried once, and the reason, WHY I did that, is very easy to understand (i think):
That was fun! I created action games (based on the idea: shoot everything that moves around . Sure, that was funny, too, but I''m glad I experienced the work on a RPG.
It was a lot of work, but testing it (and seeing, that the player could nearly do everything), was a great feeling!

I have been programming in Turbo Pascal for 5 years. I also have experiences with Delphi, Turbo Assembler and C++. Now I''m trying to improve my Windows-based programming. This is a big change, since I was a DOS-Programmer ;-)
Indeterminatus--si tacuisses, philosophus mansisses--
Only after everyone wanted to make a first person shooter and/or a real-time strategy game. These things come in bursts and has to do with some popular game that''s out at the moment. Funnily enough, we don''t see RollerCoaster Tycoon clones or The Sims clones even though these are topping the charts. Why? People like making games they like to play, not what others like to play....
Hmmm... I''ve been reading too much "Game Architecture and Design"...
JeranonGame maker wannabe.
RPGs are the easiest mainstream game genre to get started with.
But they are the hardest to complete properly.

(Justifications for the above statements available on request )
The RPG genre is really too crowded, with the same..exact..games. All swords/sorcery with good guy vs. bad guy storyline. Why not try something more unique?
Just feel that it is a really tired out genre.

Ibuku
Amadev.net
Good idea. Maybe an RPG where the purpose is to get the girl of your dreams in bed with you.
Shinryuu64Solenoid Software Interactivehttp://solenoid.50megs.comshinryu64@kiss-my.as

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement