Getting started in Visual arts for games ?

Started by
10 comments, last by Dark_Psi 21 years, 8 months ago
Check out "3D Game Art - F/X and Design"
auth. Luke Ahearn, publ. by Coriolis. ISBN# 1-58880-100-4
It has some great tutorials and comes with a texture library and
open-source game engines Genesis3D and Reality Factory,
so you can import/test your 3dsMax models in a real-time environ.

Cheers, Steve

"Luck is what happens when preparation meets opportunity"
"Luck is what happens when preparation meets opportunity"
Advertisement
It''s an ability that you have or you don''t, regardless of what is taught to you. Artists see things others can''t, and see them like no one else can, artist or otherwise. My suggestion to you is to NOT buy into that art-book, art-course crap. Art isn''t something that can be taught because true art is derived from how the individual portrays the world around him, not how he is taught to portray the world around him. I spent a few years looking at other art, even took art lessons, emulating styles I liked and etc. etc. What did I get out of it? Jack crap. One day I said screw it, sat down, and just drew an image of a woman the way I saw her, not the way anyone else saw her. I draw better than I ever did and I draw confortably because I draw in MY style, no one elses. Style is a natural thing that you will have along with your artistic ability.

Anyways, my rambling comes with a purpose....don''t think teaching can expose your real artistic abilities because it can''t. You have to discover those on your own. Even if you can''t create art now doesn''t mean you won''t be able to with some practice. If you have the ability develop it on your own, your way, and it''ll be developed correctly. Develop it the way others want you to develop it and you might not reach your full potential.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement