HELP

Started by
12 comments, last by XRCOWBOY 21 years, 8 months ago
HELLO IM LOOKING IN TO BECOMING A GAME DEVELOPER WHEN I GET THROUGH WITH HIGH SCHOOL AND I HAVE NO EXPERIENCE IN ANY LANGUAGE AND WAS WONDERING IF ANYONE KNEW WHERE I COULD GET SOME FREE EASY TO USE PROGRAMS TO GET STARTED AND ALSO I NEED A LIST OF WHAT KINDA PROGRAMS I SHOULD GET XR_COWBOY
XR_COWBOY
Advertisement
Your caps lock key appears to be broken ...
I suggest you Start Here and read the first few articles.
ReactOS - an Open-source operating system compatible with Windows NT apps and drivers
that didnt help me much

XR_COWBOY
XR_COWBOY
You must figure out these things:

What kind of platform shall your games run on. (win32, linux, etc)

Then what kind of language you want to use like: C++,Delphi,VB, asm....

Then what kind of API to use, like DirectX or OpenGL

some links:

http:\\www.gametutorials.com \\Both of the belov
http:\\www.nehe.gamedev.net \\Fab openGL tuts
http:\\www.nexe.gamedev.net \\Some good DirectX Tuts
Do a search for dev c++ in google. its a free c++ compiler

--If you look to the clouds you cant see traps--

[edited by - Direct Dude on August 16, 2002 5:13:09 PM]
--If you look to the clouds you cant see traps--
XR_COWBOY:

That would depend on your definition of ''easy to use''. One good way to start is to use the gcc/g++ C/C++ compilers. If you have linux, you''ve probably got them already. If you''re using Windows, there might be ports. There are other free C/C++ compilers, but I''m not familiar with them.

I would also suggest picking up an introductory book on C/C++. There are lots of them, and this site has many reviews, so check them out before you spend your money.

John.
I''m always amazed at how tolerant people are on these forums. I would flame someone who did this so hard - and if I was an admin, he''d be banned and this thread deleted.

Fortunately I''m not in the mood for flames today, so I''ll leave it be.

But for crying out loud, don''t talk in all caps.
---DirectX gives me a headache.
DUDE!! You can just wake up one day and be like....
"Hmmmm. I think this week I wanna make video games! That sounds like fun, mabye I can make Quake 4 with ID!"

That is not the way it works. You have to have an EXTREME passion for computers,math and programming. And also you must have a lot of time, dedication, patenice, attention to detail, etc...

Learn to program that is my advice once you learn that the peices should start falling into place
I,m a newbie to programming too, but i find that you must have a lot of dedication to you''re work, and from my experiance (C++, VisualBasic, Delphi / Pascal, Java) I foun I liked working on Delphi, because og the GUI it has, but C++ worked best. so you just have to see what you like.
time dedication computers math i got all that
im 16 years old 1 computer i bought and one i built with a lil help from experts which is what i came here for was a lil help but it seems most of yall are jerks but thanks to the few people that gave me links and stuff your help is great but for the rest of yall life the idiot crying cause i talked in caps wow big deal you sound like a whining baby so to get to the point all of you assholes can suck a cock and go to hell

XR_COWBOY
XR_COWBOY
as another said, learn to program, thats the place to start, and you do have to have extreme passion to be in the industry im sure, but you dont have to have extreme passion to learn how to program, and thats the starting point, as a recommendation, start with C or Java, either is a simple language to start with, and there are many resources for both of them

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement