Best compiler for game dev

Started by
8 comments, last by Rolo Puentes 21 years, 7 months ago
What would be the best compiler for game development according to these features: ultra-optimized output fast compilation can be used under windows and linux These are the cons I''ve found: CL: STL implementation sucks, can be solved using STLport Template implementations sucks Can''t be used in linux Costs lots of money Intel: Costs money GCC: (haven''t used it, I heard almost 69% slower than intel''s compiler and 19% slower than CL slow compilation ----------- Don''t know any others... opinions?
Advertisement
Highly flamable!
______________________________Only dead fish go with the main-stream.
I think gcc is the only compiler that works on Windows & Linux, so your decision is already made.

MSVC wins the optimized code ouput, with Borland a close second.
I''m pretty sure Borland has the fast compilers.

gcc is pretty good, go to sourceforge and download DevC++. I think it has everything you need and it''s free. If I didn''t have MSVC7 I''d use DevC++.

Magmai Kai Holmlor

"Oh, like you''ve never written buggy code" - Lee

[Look for information | GDNet Start Here | GDNet Search Tool | GDNet FAQ | MSDN RTF[L] | SGI STL Docs | STFW | Asking Smart Questions ]

[Free C++ Libraries | Boost | ACE | Loki | MTL | Blitz++ | wxWindows| Spirit(xBNF)]
- The trade-off between price and quality does not exist in Japan. Rather, the idea that high quality brings on cost reduction is widely accepted.-- Tajima & Matsubara
additional question:

has ever someone used the intel compiler and got a better performance compared to the msvc compiler?

Using the intel compiler, you might get better speeds ON INTEL PROCESSORS. Performance on AMD and other processors will not be as good.
quote:I think gcc is the only compiler that works on Windows & Linux, so your decision is already made.

Nope, the Intel compiler is available for both Windows and Linux.

quote:Using the intel compiler, you might get better speeds ON INTEL PROCESSORS. Performance on AMD and other processors will not be as good.

AMD uses the Intel compiler when they do benchmarks. Code produced by icc is faster on both Intel and AMD chips despite being optimized for Intel chips.

There''s more to a compiler than instruction-level performance tweaking. The higher level code transformations help a lot and Intel''s optimizer does these well.

---
Bart
----Bart
Delphi

quote:Original post by Rolo Puentes
ultra-optimized output

(Pro or Enterprise Edition) Produces optimized output just as good a VC++.
fast compilation

After you try Delphi you''ll wonder what the hell those C++ compilers are doing (Compile times are measured in seconds)
can be used under windows and linux

Kylix: Borlands Linux compiler, does both Delphi and C++.
You have to realize that Borland builder products don't compile the same way as other compiles. Borland compiles source into a series of small modules. There is not much optimization between modules like that.

C++ builder and Delphi preduce the exact same code. It's kind of like how byte code is written but it's not interpreted.

[edited by - smanches on August 30, 2002 5:58:14 PM]
Stephen ManchesterSenior Technical LeadVirtual Media Vision, Inc.stephen@virtualmediavision.com(310) 930-7349
quote:Original post by Michalson
Delphi

Yes, but then the projects you make with it become unmanagable after becoming anywhere close to medium sized. Plus the fact that Pascal is a pretty ugly language, and you end up typing twice as much to do the same thing with all the pointless keywords like "Then" as you would in C/Java/C++.

dMDI

"I don't know with what weapons the third world war will be fought, but I know the fourth will be fought with sticks and stones." Einstein

[edited by - dMDI on August 31, 2002 6:24:35 AM]

[edited by - dMDI on August 31, 2002 6:25:18 AM]
"I don''t know with what weapons the third world war will be fought, but I know the fourth will be fought with sticks and stones." Einstein
Wooo! Another flame war starting!
Sup guys?

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement