DirectX 9

Started by
25 comments, last by torquel 21 years, 8 months ago
Does anyone know if DirectDraw is being reintroduced back into DX9? And if so, will there be significant changes like that of DX7 D3D to DX8 D3D? Just curious. Thanks
- torquel
Advertisement
DX9 will continue to not have DD as a seprate item. Its not really that different from DX8 except for one feature additions like Displacement Surfaces. DX10 is apparently going to be a very major reengineering.
Dang, that is so not right. DirectDraw is sweet, and I know you can still use the interfaces and such, but not having documentation on it or anything, or updating it is just so wrong. Trying to force everyone into 3D, bleh. Some people prefer the retro style games.
- torquel
If you ownt to do 2D stuff with DX8 all you do use use D3D with Ortho, its WAY WAY faster then DD ever was becouse your using the 3D Hardware...

-VBLimits
Sorry about the Spelling..
-VBLimitsSorry about the Spelling..
Yeah sure you can always do 2D with DX8. And actually (IMO) it''s much nicer than using DirectDraw. It''s faster, supports alpha blending and many other operations. Transformations are also very easy to do (rotation, scaling...etc). So don''t be too sad about DirectDraw not existing in DX8.

Spartacus

Real programmers don''t document, if it was hard to write it should be hard to understand

Real programmers don't document, if it was hard to write it should be hard to understand

From what I understand (if this is not true, someone say somthing), DirectX 9 will support c#. I guess it doesn''t work as of yet. This will be great for newbies to start it up and mess with it without all the frustration.

I think, therfore I am.
I think?

I think, therefore I am. I think? - "George Carlin"
My Website: Indie Game Programming

My Twitter: https://twitter.com/indieprogram

My Book: http://amzn.com/1305076532

DirectX 9 will support C#. Actually it does so pretty nicely :-) For most things.

Regards

Thomas Tomiczek
THONA Consulting Ltd.
(Microsoft MVP C#/.NET)
RegardsThomas TomiczekTHONA Consulting Ltd.(Microsoft MVP C#/.NET)
In the dx 8 book I have it says that some graphics cards textures can't go beyond 128x128 pixels. So that’s a problem with just D3D.

[edited by - Manastone on August 18, 2002 11:34:14 AM]
-----------------------------Download my real time 3D RPG.
Manastone, that will only be a problem if you go back in time to say... 1995 or something, and buy the cheapest card you can find.
I don''t think any card that''s been sold the last few years gives textures smaller than 1024x1024. And most does 2048x2048.

--
MFC is sorta like the swedish police... It''''s full of crap, and nothing can communicate with anything else.
face it, DD IS OBSOLETE. you can do the same things in D3D and much more. in fact I would say DX8 is EASIER than all that crap you have to do in DX7 to set up the device etc

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement