Okay, I broke down, which version of VC++?

Started by
12 comments, last by Frazzuld 24 years ago
I finally faced the music. My current package jsut sint allowing me to do what I want, and isnt very helpful. Plus there is not much support for it. SO... Which version(standard, professional, enterprise) of VC++ do I get?
If it ain't broke, I haven't fixed it yet!!
Advertisement
If you don''t plan on doing extensive SQL stuff then don''t bother with the Enterprise edition of VC++ unless of course you get it with whole Visual Studio package. The Professional edition is the way to go, especially if you can get it at an academic price.

-Cicco
Enterprise edition adds Visual SourceSafe (which i use at work) which can be VERY helpful when you decide to try out a major change. If you can afford the difference, go for Enterprise (at academic, it was a $99 difference) even though it contains VB, SQL, InterDev, etc..
i didn''t know about SourceSafe when i bought Professional, and wish i had. it would save me from having 100 copies of my project folders.

crazy166

some people think i'm crazy, some people know it
if your really serious, just buy it all (just kidding!). If you plan to use C++, then get the latest, most expensive one which is 6.0 right now, or actually instead of the most expensive one, just go to the software store and compare the different editions of VC++ to see which one bests suits your needs!
Hehe, I dont even know what SQL is yet... I am new to this. That SourceSafe sounds nice... I dont wanna pay that much, even for academic version though. Professional Version, $80 for me
If it ain't broke, I haven't fixed it yet!!
Get the Professional edition!
I have little money so I got standard edition at academic price. It seems to work fine for making games with DirectX etc. Personally I dont really see the advantage of getting proffessional or enterprise edition...

- Daniel
- DanielMy homepage
I got professional editon for $49 at auctions.amazon.com
Really good deal
||--------------------------||Black Hole Productionshttp://bhp.nydus.netResident expert on stuffmax621@barrysworld.com||--------------------------||
I''m going to go against the grain here and reccomend you get the standard edition. The only difference between it and the proffesional edition is that the profesional edition has a profiler and will optimize code -- but that comes at a hefty price tag.

--TheGoop
what''s a profiler, and it optimizes code? that''s worth the price, isn''t it?

a2k
------------------General Equation, this is Private Function reporting for duty, sir!a2k

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement