MFC with DirectX

Started by
3 comments, last by cclements 24 years ago
What are some of your thoughts on generating a base application using the Wizards of VC 6.0 then creating functions to handle the DirectX and gameing side of the program. Are there compiler issues that I should know about? Basically I like the ability to easily add resources like menus and dialogs into that frame work. Are there any developers doing it this way or is it all WIN 32 API work? --Chris
No signature files!!! =)
Advertisement
If you''re programming a game, it''s suggested you don''t mix DirectX and MFC if you''re at all concerned about performance. For the game support tools it would be acceptable to use MFC since here you''re more concerned about functionality than performance. Programming a Win32 API based application using VC++ still makes it easy to create and use resources.

-Cicco

Chris,
I think it''s fine to use MFC with a DirectX application.
Personally, I develop under NT and use VC++ with MFC.
There is a slight performance hit, but it''s quite negligable. My DirectDraw programs still run at a Frames/Sec equal to the refresh rate of my monitor (70Hz == 70 FPS).

I say that if you like to use MFC, then go for it. There have been quite a few messages about ''Should I use MFC with my DirectX application?" and they all seem to say the same thing. If you want to, there''s nothing wrong with it.

// CHRIS
// CHRIS [win32mfc]
i only use mfc with my editors, etc., but see no drastic performance problems. the 3d editors can draw the levels and objects in real-time (though they are NOT very complex).
i think that most "commercial" level editors probably use mfc, because trying to write a full-featured editor in API is very difficult. serious performance problems probably are attributed (either accurately or not) to the mfc overhead.
i''ve never written a game in mfc, though, since most have been fullscreen and don''t need menus and the like, but i think it''s a good idea.

crazy166

some people think i'm crazy, some people know it
The way I see it, Windows (even with DirectX) is slow enough without MFC in the way... although it does work.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement