Separating Axis Test

Started by
18 comments, last by JohanK 21 years, 7 months ago
Hi, Is there a good explaination to this method or maybe a simple implementation somewhere? Thanks /Johan
Advertisement
I''ve never heard of this test! Perhaps I know it by some other name. Could you explain what the test is supposed to test for please?

Thanks,

Timkin
Objectcollision... Box to box.

Got the name from Gino Van Den Bergens paper "Efficient Collision Detection of Complex Deformable Models using AABB Trees". (Nice title )

hmmm, do you mean that you align the bounding box to an arbitary axis to encompass the model ??

Its my duty, to please that booty ! - John Shaft
I guess I mean that.
Projecting the boxex it to 15 different axis (axises? ) to see if all overlap, or something like that.

The main question is, how do you calculate these axis''s... (Gotta brush up my 3d-english)

/Johan
There are many docs and code for the separating axis tests at www.magicsoftware.com
you do the same exact transformations for the bounding box as you did for the object, thus they shall end up centered upon each other.
quote:Original post by MisterAnderson42
There are many docs and code for the separating axis tests at www.magicsoftware.com

Thanks for the link MA42... that''ll help me figure out whether I understand what this ''test'' is!

Timkin
I''m still having trouble finding a good explanation to this. How do you determine these 15 axis?

I''ll keep looking...

Thanks
/Johan
Check out my webpage (The physics docs):

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/j.owens1/Main.html

It explains it however the explanation might not be the best.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement