Greyscale conversion?

Started by
11 comments, last by dragon9 20 years, 3 months ago
I am working on a simulator project where we would like to create a moonlit look by converting a scene to grayscale. The textures and materials are all color for daytime views, but we want to wash the color out for night views. What is the best way to do this? Is there a simple way to do this with gamma adjust or render properties?
Advertisement
You could always use a pixel shader:

PROS:
Fast on supported HW
Flexible so you could make greyscale or whtever you want.
PS is the future - embrace it now.

CONS:
No SW emulation - you immediatly reduce the number of users who can run it.
Requires low-level programming of HW (complex)
PS is the future - various standards to choose from (1.1,1.4,2.0)

Neil

WHATCHA GONNA DO WHEN THE LARGEST ARMS IN THE WORLD RUN WILD ON YOU?!?!
Pixel shaders are definately the future, but I am lazy and would prefer another method at this time. Humor me.
Alphablend a grey primitive over the entire screen. Black may work but you probably want a dark grey.

Ben

IcarusIndie.com [ The Rabbit Hole | The Labyrinth | DevZone | Gang Wars | The Wall | Hosting | Dot Com | GameShot ]
That''ll just make everything darker, nor really washed-out looking.
The only way i can think of is with a Pixel Shader.

Steve
DirectX Programmer
Soon to be the new Bill Gates
Member of the Unban Mindwipe Society (UMWS)
Two sets of textures? To make a greyscal texture you could go through each texture, check the RGB value of the pixel, find an average and then assgin the avg to the RGB, kinda like:

grey = (Red + Green + Blue)/3
pixel = RGB(grey, grey, grey)

This may work, although to do it at realtime would be a pain, maybe write a bitmap converter that does the above, or make make double surfaces for the textures while loading the game, this may work, or I may be off, its been a long day...
Thisis the AP again, I just tryed making a quick example in Visual Basic, it works very well, but it would be far to slow to use uring runtime, so as I said above it would make sense to make two versions of the bitmap using a converter, or creating while the game is loading. Although if I had a choice I would go with pixel shader.

Use the D3DTOP_DOTPRODUCT3 texture stage state. That works fine on any chip which supports it (Permedia3, all GeForces, all Radeons, all Kyros).

You set one source to be the colour as usual, and the other to be TFACTOR. Then you fill TFACTOR with R=G=B=1/3:

// imagine you''ve done your usual colour stuff in stage 0
SetTSS( 1, D3DTSS_COLORARG1, D3DTA_CURRENT );
SetTSS( 1, D3DTSS_COLOROP, D3DTOP_DOTPRODUCT3 );
SetTSS( 1, D3DTSS_COLORARG2, D3DTA_TFACTOR );
// mark end of pipe
SetTSS( 2, D3DTSS_COLOROP, D3DTOP_DISABLE );

//
// set the constant to a=0, r=1/3, g=1/3, b=1/3
SetRS( D3DRS_TEXTUREFACTOR, 0x00555555 );

If you want more physically correct luminance (the eye is more receptive to some colour components than others), the REC709 coefficients (for average PC monitor) are r=0.2125, g=0.7154, b=0.0721. Converted to the TEXTUREFACTOR constant (multiply by 255 and convert to hex) it''s: 0x0036B612 [since you have to round some of the coefficients, you lose some precision - really the r,g,b parts of the constant should add up to 255 so I''d an extra 1 to the blue.

I''ll leave working out how the above turns colours into "black and white" as an excercise for the reader. Its good practice for learning how to get the most out of texture blending .

--
Simon O''Connor
Creative Asylum Ltd
www.creative-asylum.com

Simon O'Connor | Technical Director (Newcastle) Lockwood Publishing | LinkedIn | Personal site

Thank you for your help S1CA. Your approach works well but I am experiencing an effect where the new grayscale textures are blended through as an alpha value. That is, a texture that was previously green is now gray, and thus about 50% transparent. How do I convert to grayscale without changing the alpha value in the original texture?
Vertex Shaders:

PROS:
Fast on HW. Fast in SW (just not as fast as HW)
Use to change output colour of vertices for nighttime

CONS:
Probably not as good as S1CA''s method graphically.

Neil

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement