games like Counter Strike

Started by
14 comments, last by Yau 21 years, 7 months ago
I was just wondering what type of data does counter strike send through out the network?? Does CT just the the current location and orientation of it''s player to all the other computer on the network?? I think if it did that there would be major synchronization issues! or Does it send player commands such as what keys or mouse events the player has pressed to a server. The server uses that information to update game information (such as make the player walk forward) and sends the updated information back to all the other computers. or Somethin'' else???
:)
Advertisement
as far as i know the server program does all that, it would keep the position of the player on the server updated and the terrorists too, if the terrorist got near by it would start sending his location data, i read this in a cs faq a while ago
I''d post this in the mods forum you''ll get more luck in there. or go search Halflife programming sites or download the SDK and have a look at how the netcode for halflife works.

or check the articles part of this gamedev under multi-player
Half-life updates every players position, orientation, and animation state multiple times per second (10 to 30). The positions are smoothed on the client using interpolation and dead reckoning.

Some of the the network data is optimized. If the the player isn''t moving, then the position is not sent. Etc.
Stephen ManchesterSenior Technical LeadVirtual Media Vision, Inc.stephen@virtualmediavision.com(310) 930-7349
Conter-Strike server has imperfection.
For players send positions all clients and it sence to make chiters.

i think valve is trying to stop cheaters by devising a new method for sending the player positions.

players positions are only sent for players that your computer can see, other players are occuled out.

this stops wall hackers from knowing your position beyond a wall. but i am not sure if this is implemented yet ..

Its my duty, to please that booty ! - John Shaft
It is not implemented yet. I watched someonw wall-hack the other day. :-(
Stephen ManchesterSenior Technical LeadVirtual Media Vision, Inc.stephen@virtualmediavision.com(310) 930-7349
A bit off topic but the latest patch for CS crawls, i''ve switched to SOF, the network code is much better but i notice they are still using BSP''s, so much for next generation graphics.
"Let Us Now Try Liberty"-- Frederick Bastiat
sof2 is just a modded q3 engine
quote:Original post by zenoob
sof2 is just a modded q3 engine

It uses the Q3 arena engine, like MOHAA does. This allows for outdoor scenes, standard Q3 is always inside.

But it doesn''t matter much, the gameplay is great. Especially the capture the flag and inf game modes.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement