Using 3-D Studio MAX for Game Models

Started by
8 comments, last by Bossk 21 years, 8 months ago
I'm a real newbie when it comes to MAX, and have recently began experimenting with the program, trying to make simple models of people, etc. Anyways, my question is, how do I texture my model? I know, it is probably real simple. But my problem is this: I don't want to use any maps (i don't think many game engines support them, am I wrong?), just materials. However, I am not currently aware of how to input JPEGs or GIFs into MAX as usable materials. What would really be great was if there was a way to put a number of images into one material library so that i could have a common material library for all my models, but even if this is not possible I would still be perfectly happy just using the images as individual files. Thanks in advance. [edited by - Bossk on September 7, 2002 7:42:14 PM]
Advertisement
you need UVW maps, not materials.
http://www.strangefate.com
yes, you need to apply a UV map and then use a texture file. i suggest a .bmp for most directX games.
How would I go about applying a UVW map to a model?

no offense, but if you dont even know that, then maybe you shouldnt be using max just yet. Try a smaller modelling package for learning the basics
I was using Milkshape for a while, and could texture my models just fine in that program... I just don''t know what buttons to press in MAX to apply a UVW map. As it is right now whenever I am done modelling in MAX I export and then texture in Milkshape... but that is a real pain.

Oh well, thanks for all the replies, and DC256, you just might be right...
have you discovered the material editor yet? look for an icon with spheres at the top. you may be able to figure it out from there.

a2k
------------------General Equation, this is Private Function reporting for duty, sir!a2k
Select Object. Click the Modify tab (right side, blue arc), look through the Modifier list for the UVW controls. Unwrap is the one you''ll want for complete control.
As for importing images, Utilities tab (hammer), Asset Browser. Drag image into material editor.

------------
MSN: nmaster42@hotmail.com, AIM: LockePick42, ICQ: 74128155
"It''s all part of the conspiracy of conspirators conspiring to conspire their own conspiracies..."
_______________________________________Pixelante Game Studios - Fowl Language
Thanks! I''ve got it working.
Just to add on to this post, how would i go about exporting a model in 3d studio max with textures md2 or md3? Would i need plug in?

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement