Total Annihilation .UFO files

Started by
15 comments, last by _DarkWIng_ 21 years, 7 months ago
Does anyone know how to open Total Annihilation''s .UFO files (compressed units). I''ve been searching the net (google, flipcode, opengl.org...) for a few hours but I just can''t find any specific info how to do it. I know the file is cmpressed and it consists of 2 parts (mesh&texture). There has been a news of a project creating full 3D verison of TA with source code a few months ago but now their web site is down. I would realy like if any of you could give me any info about this. Anything: Source code, file spec,... You should never let your fears become the boundaries of your dreams.
You should never let your fears become the boundaries of your dreams.
Advertisement
www.planetannihilation.com

Go there. They have everything you need (or if not; they link to it).
Belive me, I''ve tried there alyready. They have utilitys to open .ufo files but I need some tchical info(or source) how files are made. I need to make importer for my engine.

http://sourceforge.net/projects/openglta/

Author, "Real Time Rendering Tricks and Techniques in DirectX", "Focus on Curves and Surfaces"

[edited by - CrazedGenius on September 11, 2002 11:10:15 AM]
Author, "Real Time Rendering Tricks and Techniques in DirectX", "Focus on Curves and Surfaces", A third book on advanced lighting and materials
There used to be sites all over the place that covered every aspect of that game... unfortunatly it came out about 5 years ago and now no one seems to play it.... that really bothers me that was a great game and there hasnt been a game that allows so much costumiation since

P.S. sorry for rambeling on there
CrazedGenius : Nice link, but doesn''t have any code to open ufo files.

DM0407 : There are still ALOT of sites about TA but they hav just units and utillitys to view/import/export them... (It was one of my favourite games too)

haven''t thought about this for awhile, but isn''t a .ufo the same as the other packed files (for which there are lots of tools). I might be wrong...

Author, "Real Time Rendering Tricks and Techniques in DirectX", "Focus on Curves and Surfaces"
Author, "Real Time Rendering Tricks and Techniques in DirectX", "Focus on Curves and Surfaces", A third book on advanced lighting and materials
I just so happen to be an expert in TA editing!

Look for a program called HPIPack and HPIView (I think) to open the HPI and UFO files. You can browse the directory structure and extract the model files (3do) which you can then open in one of the TA modeling programs. This is why it was my favorite game!
Cybertron - are you the same Cybertron from the sourceforge project?

I still play TA. I played last night.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement