How can i do a game like doom?

Started by
16 comments, last by snoofy 21 years, 7 months ago
Hi everyone I just want to do a game like "DOOM" im a beginner i only know how to program in C++. What more do i need to do game like "DOOM" Thanks
Advertisement
Geometry, sprite design and implimentation, platform (win/mac) API programming, drawing (win/QT/OGL/DX) API programming, practice, persistence.

-Sta7ic
A job at id Software.
"Wisdom is proportionate to your reference base. Intelligence is the ability to appropriately use that Wisdom."
Skip DOOM and go straight to DOOM 4! 13333333333337!
Well a beginner making a game like Doom seems like a pretty bad early object. Work your way up first.
yeah, make a tetris clone, just like everyone of us and stay cool LOL
[size="2"]I like the Walrus best.
Do what Ben Franklin did. Go to sleep, you insomniac, with a spoon in your hand. If you feel something really cold on your genitalia then you''ll be unconsciously exited and will have remembered what you''ve been pondering about and the solution that you ''dreamed'' about.
quote:Do what Ben Franklin did. Go to sleep, you insomniac, with a spoon in your hand. If you feel something really cold on your genitalia then you''ll be unconsciously exited and will have remembered what you''ve been pondering about and the solution that you ''dreamed'' about.

I''m sorry, you do what?
quote:Original post by snoofy
Hi everyone

I just want to do a game like "DOOM" im a beginner i only know how to program in C++.

What more do i need to do game like "DOOM"

Thanks

First of all, visit the "For Beginner" section of this site. Second, learn how to use the site. There is a little thing called search. Use it, this topic has been answered more than once. Third, start by making a simple game like tetris or pacman an then once you''ve done that, do it again and again until you get confortable with game programming, then move on to some more complex stuff like RPGs and then to 3D( first person, etc ) games. You can''t start game programming by saying you want to make a game like doom. You will just fail and get annoyed at programming. Set some real goals and then try to move on.

Yes, this post is harsh and it is intended to be. This post should have been in the for beginners forum. Not the game programming forum. Learn to use the site...

find your element
at mutedfaith.com.
<º>

Cyberdrek

[Cyberdrek | ]
Tough, but fair. Cyberdrek - well spoken.

The confusion lies in the fact that "For Beginners" isn''t right in front of their eyes. It was a mistake on the forum designer''s part to assume a beginner would look down far enough to see that, or read any documentation on the forum before posting.

(My comment about it being the forum designer''s fault is sarcastic)
/*-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-= trae@illicitstudios.com=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-*/

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement