layers

Started by
5 comments, last by Keegames 21 years, 7 months ago
Does anybody now some good layer articles? I want to learn how to use layers in a game
Advertisement
What kind of layers?

Helpful links:
How To Ask Questions The Smart Way | Google can help with your question | Search MSDN for help with standard C or Windows functions
Perhaps layers on tile maps?
Look here on gamedev.net in the "isometrical and tile based games" section then.
Im Anfang war die Tat...Faust
Lets explane: I''ve got 2 men on the screen. Now I want that one man pull his gun, without clearing the whole form. So I want one man in one layer and the other man in a other layer. I don''t now wich kin of layer I should use...
Ps: I''m working with VB
Your post is unclear, 2d or 3d? What do you mean by layers?
If you mean 2d and layers then layers are a result of your render order, in your graphics pipeline you are going to sort your DDS''s by whatever "layer" they are meant to be in and draw the "ground" layer first, "blending" layer second, "object" layer third, and if you are really special then your "gf effects" layer last. Just chunk them at your display stack in that order.

Dreddnafious Maelstrom

"If i saw farther, it was because I stood on the shoulders of giants."

Sir Isaac Newton
"Let Us Now Try Liberty"-- Frederick Bastiat
You seem to be thinking in graphics software terms. In game programming what usually happens is that your ''layers'' are implicit in the order of drawing. In a 2D game you usually just draw things from back to front, which gives you the appearance of depth.

[ MSVC Fixes | STL | SDL | Game AI | Sockets | C++ Faq Lite | Boost | Asking Questions | Organising code files | My stuff ]
Yes, and you''ll have to sort them if they can move toward/away from the screen. Otherwise I don''t see why you would be concerned with layers.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement