Distance between point and line

Started by
13 comments, last by CutterSlade 21 years, 7 months ago
This will sound REAL stupid, but I just can´t remember: what is the formula to find the distance between a point and a line, given the 2 coordinates of the point, and two points of the line (or the linear equation)?
--------------------------------------------------------- There are 10 kinds of people: those who know binary and those who don't
Advertisement
the distance between two points:

square root of [ (x1-x2)^2+(y1-y2)^2 ]
Anonymous Poster''s answer isn''t actually unrelated. If you don''t care that the distance you calculate is the closest distance from the point to the line, then just find the distance between the point and one of the points on the line. That is a distance from the point to the line.

If, on the other hand, you want the closest distance, you have to do some more complex geometry. Here you go.

If the line is from A to B, and the point is P, then do this:

line_direction = AB = (B-A)/length(B-A)

Let,

AP = P - A

The component of AP that lies along the line is:

AP_parallel_to_line = AB*dotproduct(AP, AB)

Now, find the component of AP that is normal to the line:

AP_normal_to_line = AP - AP_parallel_to_line

The closest distance is simply the length of AP_normal_to_line.

Graham Rhodes
Senior Scientist
Applied Research Associates, Inc.
Graham Rhodes Moderator, Math & Physics forum @ gamedev.net
i don''t really know the theory behind it, but i have some code. which i didn''t write, obviously! magic-software (.com) did (they rock! ).

right here, at the top. or directly here.

hope that helps you.

---
shurcool
wwdev
Just what I need, thanx a bunch
--------------------------------------------------------- There are 10 kinds of people: those who know binary and those who don't
In 2D, there is an easier solution, with the general equation of the line:

Ax + By + C = 0 for any point on the line

Ax + By + C = distance for points around the line (if A² + B² = 1)

Short post because you probably mean 3D.

Cédric
Well, so far I have seen 1 1/2 correct ways of doing this, when there are at least 2 that I know of. grhodes_at_work pegged the DOT product method of finding the distance which also spits out the closest point on the line (well, actually a t value that you can use to find the closest point and find the distance between them).

A faster way (CPU wise) is to use a Cross product method, which spits out the distance (and that''s it). It doesn''t actually give you the point, but there are less steps and cycles involved.

The CROSS product not only gives you vector normal to both on the vectors inputted, but the magnitude of the resultant vector is the area of the parallelogram shaped by the vectors that where used. Divide the magnitude by the base (line segment) and you will get the height (distance) from the point to the line.

If you plan to use the prewritten functions: Remember the difference in speeds and choose the algorithym that best fits your needs .
Actually, I''m doing this in 2D, it''s just that the Dot-Product method worked, but now that I see your Cedric, I think it may be better for what I need Could you explain it a little better (what do you mean by A^2 + B^2 = 1?)
Thanks in advance
Wow, sorry about my triple-post, my connection is freaking out!

[grhodes_at_work: I deleted the 2 extra posts.]

[edited by - grhodes_at_work on September 16, 2002 3:55:01 PM]
I wrote this ones allready, but then my browser wanted to go back and my finished post was gone. Nice.

While back i needed to find shortest distance between a point and a line. I found out that the shortest distance is the same as height of a triangle. I did this with a help of my friend, so if anyone has ideas how to make this faster or has faster function im realy intrested. I need to call this many times in a frame so making this faster would speed up my game seriously.

Anyway here''s the code:
Im sorry but its commented in Finnish and the variable names are in Finnish. It checks the shortest distance between the point (cx, cy) and the line (ax,ay)-(bx,by).

double kolmionkorkeus(double ax, double ay, double bx, double by, double cx, double cy) {	/*	       C			      / \	    /  |  \	  /____|____\	 A          B	*/ 	//pituus = length      	double pituusAB, pituusAC, pituusBC;	pituusAB = sqrt((ax-bx)*(ax-bx)+(ay-by)*(ay-by));	pituusAC = sqrt((ax-cx)*(ax-cx)+(ay-cy)*(ay-cy));	pituusBC = sqrt((bx-cx)*(bx-cx)+(by-cy)*(by-cy));		if ((pituusAB > pituusAC)&&(pituusAB > pituusBC)) {			double korkeus, k1, k2, alfa;		//(ax,ay) - (bx,by) this is the line		//(cx,cy) this is the point		// k1,k2 = kulmakertoimia (i don''t know what this is in english)		k1 = (ay - by) / (ax - bx);		k2 = (cy - ay) / (cx - ax);		alfa = atan((k1 - k2) / (1+ k1*k2));		korkeus = abs(sin(alfa)*pituusAC);		return korkeus;	} else {				if (pituusAC < pituusBC) {			return pituusAC;		} else {		    return pituusBC;		}	}}  
________________________________________Kloonigames Blog - Monthly Experimental Games

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement