Game Music

Started by
7 comments, last by Gf11speed 24 years ago
I was just wondering, for a game, if I wanted to enter a song, which was a wav file, of say.... 20 megs. I really don't want to have that size file for just one song, so, how could I reduce the size of the file? Would I have to change the file format? If so, then how would I load the file into my program, because right now I'm only reading wav files from the program. Thanks for reading. And sorry for the two posts of the same thing, I wanted to get an email reply when I got a response, and I forgot to do it on the first one Edited by - Gf11speed on 4/11/00 2:25:41 PM
Greg FieldsSyntasoft Gameswww.syntasoft.comPost-Time Horse Racing (Available Now)
Advertisement
Well, if there''s a song, you wont need it in stereo and perhaps only in 22khz

Metus
Ethereal
Ever thought about DirectMusic? Midi files are smaller..... and maybe you might find an MP3 decoder.... but then that''d might interfere with gaming performance.

-------------------------
-Now Working on Pokemon like Engine!
-------------------------
-Now Working on Pokemon like Engine!
what I do is convert my wave files to mp3''s then just decode them during runtime. It really doesn''t slow down the game that much.
My HomepageSome shoot to kill, others shoot to mame. I say clear the chamber and let the lord decide. - Reno 911
Using MP3 files sounds like something I would do. But I do not know how to decode an MP3 file, does anyone know how to do this?
Greg FieldsSyntasoft Gameswww.syntasoft.comPost-Time Horse Racing (Available Now)
Check out Wotsit.

/. Muzzafarath
I'm reminded of the day my daughter came in, looked over my shoulder at some Perl 4 code, and said, "What is that, swearing?" - Larry Wall
I agree with Marauderz (On the DirectMusic part). Sure it''s complicated, but if all you need to do is load and play a simple midi file, you can do that as well. Best of all, you can download midi files from the net, or even download a free sequencer (for minimal jobs). I can''t wait till I learn more about DirectMusic.... so far, it has to be my favorite part of DirectX
I know of 3 mp3 decoders which can be used in a game:

G-Audio:
http://idf.net/gods
Decodes into a DirectSound stream, so you''ll have full control over pitch, hall, position and volume while still being able to play other sound effects.
Freeware for non-commercial use

XAudio-SDK:
??
Sorry, lost the adress, I''m sure you''ll find it with altavista or google. Well, some Linux stuff as it seems, probably not so good for games (ex. internal environment variable manager etc.).

FreeAMP:
www.freeamp.org
This is a nice mp3 player with full source. Since the decoder part is seperate from the sound-output and gui parts, it is the work of some hours to get it running in a custom application

Isowave, you''ll have to re-learn many things because in DX8 DirectMusic and DirectSound will be merged :D

-Markus-
Professional C++ and .NET developer trying to break into indie game development.
Follow my progress: http://blog.nuclex-games.com/ or Twitter - Topics: Ogre3D, Blender, game architecture tips & code snippets.
Actually, Cygon, I don''t know much about it yet anyways. I am still learning DirectDraw stuff. Surprisingly, DirectDraw didn''t seem hard at all to me, but now I am trying to get a good tiled demo going (at least 256 tiles per map...can only display 10 now)... and my problems lie in my arrays, nothing to do with DirectDraw. All I''ve done in DirectMusic is play around with Producer. The concepts, and what it is capable of seem to attract me to it... so I can''t wait to learn some of it, which will probably be about the time DirectX 8 is released anyways.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement