Compiler Design

Started by
12 comments, last by sakky 21 years, 6 months ago
I''m searching around for building compilers and I found with book. Its called Compiler Design in C, by Allen I. Hulub. Have any of you heard of this book. I just started reading it and it has already revealed alot to me. The first few pages in chapter 1 start talking about the compiler structure. This is intresting, This book says that some compilers don''t have preprocessors; others generate ASM code in a second pass, optimize the ASM code directly, and don''t have a forth pass. Others generate binary instructions directly, with out an ASCII intermediate language ( ASM ). I would like to play around and make a goofy little programming language that runs a run time, like Java. Some real simple to have run and learn with.
Take back the internet with the most awsome browser around, FireFox
Advertisement
If you''re really interested in Compiler design, get the Dragon Book (Compilers: Principles, Techniques, and Tools). It''s hardback, about $80, but it''s the compiler bible.
daerid@gmail.com
I''m looking for that book, but I need more information: author, title, and so on. Were I can get it cheap; if not amazon.
Author: Aho and some others. (Aho is the "A" in "Awk"; Kernighan - of K & R fame - is the "K").
Title: Compilers: Principles, Techniques and Tools. Also see Compilers: Principles and Practice (aka Son of the Dragon Book).

You might be able to find it (or them) in the public library, and definitely in a university library (so long as they have a CS program).
Just to reiterate, get the dragon book. It trully is THE reference for compiler design and development.

The Tyr project is coming...
The Tyr project is here.
If you fancy a different spin on the idea, get to Catseye Technologies or the Esoteric Languages Database.

Or if you want to take it a bit more seriously but (like me) are too skint to buy books, take a look at Let''s Build A Compiler by Jack Crenshaw or this tute.

www.coldcity.com
code, pics, life
[size="2"]www.coldcity.com code, art, life
I have got a question on the Dragon Book.
Will it teach me how to actually build a working compiler or will it just the general principles and techniques (feturing pseudo code...) ?
Im Anfang war die Tat...Faust
There are things called book reviews and publisher websites... And you don''t have to wait until someone feels willing/capable to answer your question.

Anyway, the Son of the Dragon Book contained a lot of code for implementing a Pascal compiler (I last looked at it in ''97 or ''98). I''ve never read the Dragon Book, and choose a more implementation-oriented text from the library a week ago (which, incidentally, also builds a Pascal compiler, among others). The book I borrowed is called Writing Compilers and Interpreters.
Apart from the Dragon Book, I particularly like ''Programming Language Processors in Java: Compilers and Interpreters'' by David A. Watt, Deryck F. Brown, Deryck Brown, ISBN: 0130257869

see: http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0130257869/002-8432514-2450437#product-details

It''s a good beginner book that takes a practical approach to compiler development, and is easy to follow even if you aren''t using Java.

Paul
After reading into alot of the basic ideas with this book, making a compiler dons''t seam to hard. My book makes frequent references to Flex and Bisonm, with some documentation about them. So all in all, it seams like so far, the book is a good tutorial.

I like Java. But I would realy like to get into computer science. I would like to, if not make, at least come close to inventing my own C/C++ like language.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement