Projects in VB? or C++?

Started by
9 comments, last by Raymondo 21 years, 7 months ago
I''m interested in making an install program for a game I am working on. I''m not much of a programmer but I thought I would help out the real programmers and get this done. Rather than using a pre-made thing like wise, I would like to make my own. Could someone direct me to a site that would have information relevent to making VB or C++ install programs? I would like to use whatever language is simplerfor this type of project. Thanks in advandce.
Advertisement
I''d suggest you write a command line installer app in C++ (deflates the archizes to whatever directory and whatnot) and do the front end in VB. That way all the front end needs to do is call the command line app with the proper commands specified from the VB front end.

This approach would keep the front end clean, as well as the back end clean.

As for sites for doing this, your guess is as good as mine. One good site for Windows programming is CodeProject. If its a windows programming question, it can probably be answered there.

University is a fountain of knowledge, and students go there to drink.
Just ONE advice: DONT DO IT.

Wholy sht- do you really thinkg you have a clue on how installation works? I never found a developer that really knew. MS actually DEMANDS today that an application certified for Windows (I know you dont want to be certified, but a look on QUALITY never is bad) uses Windows Installation Services.

Use THEM. If you have VD you have an installbuilder already, otherwise use whatever you can get that CREATES .MSI FILES.

Applications with their own homegrown installer are one thing I NEVER EVER install. Too many idiots out there that think just because the software works it is installed correctly.

Regards

Thomas Tomiczek
THONA Consulting Ltd.
(Microsoft MVP C#/.NET)
RegardsThomas TomiczekTHONA Consulting Ltd.(Microsoft MVP C#/.NET)
Don''t use VB for an installer (well, VB6 at least). The runtime files it needs aren''t common enough to be able to assume that everyone should/will have them. I''m not sure about .NET, but I know that it would require the .NET runtimes, which I don''t have, and many other people don''t have either.

Trying is the first step towards failure.
Trying is the first step towards failure.
Try the Nullsoft Install System. www.nullsoft.com (it''s called NSIS and SuperNSIS)

--SuperRoy

[ www.Google.com ][ FlipCode IOTD ]
[ Email Me ][ WhitespaceUnlimited ]
Sup guys?
If you want to use a good, free installer that dosn''t require certified MS permissions, take a look a Clickteam''s Install Maker. The trial version is a little limited, and you have to display a splash, but it''s worth it.

If at first you don''t succeed, call it version 1.0

SketchSoft | SketchNews

Please, it''s just doodle... bloody taken username =P
www.aidanwalsh(.net)(.info)
Clickteam: GARBAGE. No other word for it - it does not use the Windows Installation Services.

Noone requires that you certify something, but why the hell should anyone NOT use the way the OS intends to install software?

Regards

Thomas Tomiczek
THONA Consulting Ltd.
(Microsoft MVP C#/.NET)
NullSoft installer sucks too. There is only 1 real good, FREE installer, namely . I''ve used it for almost every app I ever made and I love it. You can choose classic(Full Screen) or modern(Win 2K wizard style) look. It''s good scriptable and very stable with multi archive support(ZIP and RAR). I advise you to use these instead of others. Btw, I have nothing to do with Inno Setup.

Sand Hawk

----------------
-Earth is 98% full. Please delete anybody you can.

My Site
----------------(Inspired by Pouya)
MS installer sucks? How?

It is the OS standard. Live with it.

Now, ever since 6.0, Visual Studio comes with an installbuilder that supports MSI files (for download with 6.0, .net has one integrated).

Surely, FREE like in "subpar" might be a choice for you.

Me not - most of my software has to be certified to adhere to OS standard procedures and not fuck around with the system.

Regards

Thomas Tomiczek
THONA Consulting Ltd.
(Microsoft MVP C#/.NET)
quote:Original post by Raymondo
I''m interested in making an install program for a game I am working on. I''m not much of a programmer but I thought I would help out the real programmers and get this done. Rather than using a pre-made thing like wise, I would like to make my own. Could someone direct me to a site that would have information relevent to making VB or C++ install programs? I would like to use whatever language is simplerfor this type of project.

Why not Delphi ?

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement