The cost of virtual functions

Started by
10 comments, last by Greg K 21 years, 6 months ago
Is there any slowdown when using virtual functions? I am thinking about heavily using virtual functions in my main loop but I don''t know if it is a good idea or not. If it is NOT a good idea, does anyone know of a suitable alternative. I did a basic test but the computer I am running right now (from university) may not be the most reliable. Thanks. -Greg Koreman
Advertisement
There's a pointer reference in virtual functions, so it does take an additional operation in the CPU to pull off.

Compared to the rest of your algorithmic strategies, it shouldn't be a problem. Even game programming generally suffers the greatest during parses and submitting geometry to the renderer. Virtual functions don't even come close to the cost of those operations.

[edited by - Waverider on October 15, 2002 4:56:45 PM]
It's not what you're taught, it's what you learn.
Common virtual function call semantics :

struct foo_vtbl // virtual function table
{
foo_func0, // virtual functions
foo_func1,
foo_func2,
foo_func3,
};

class foo // class
{
foo_vtbl* pvtbl; // pointer to the vtbl, not user-accessible;

/* data */;
};

foo obj;
// obj.func1( param ); becomes
foo.pvtbl[1]( param );

In short, the cost is "one level of indirection" (one table lookup).

Documents [ GDNet | MSDN | STL | OpenGL | Formats | RTFM | Asking Smart Questions ]
C++ Stuff [ MinGW | Loki | SDL | Boost. | STLport | FLTK | ACCU Recommended Books ]

[edited by - Fruny on October 15, 2002 4:58:21 PM]
"Debugging is twice as hard as writing the code in the first place. Therefore, if you write the code as cleverly as possible, you are, by definition, not smart enough to debug it." — Brian W. Kernighan
What if I were to do this:

class Object
{
Object(){ funcPointer = Update; }
funcPointer;

void Update( void ){}
}

class DerivedObject:Object
{
DerivedObject(){ funcPointer = Update; }
void Update( void ){}
}

instead of using virtual functions...?
-Greg Koreman

P.S. Update would obviously have stuff in it...
No difference. In essence this is what the compiler does. In fact it''s possible that your implemention will be _slower_ then the equivalent compiler code; and of course, the greater cost: you''re duplicating code and making greater maintance costs.
It''s possible the compiler will be able to optimize away in certain cases virtual function calls. And in other cases, one would imagine such a simple operation of compilers have been optimized to the max

In short: don''t reinvent this wheel
- At least as expensive ( the vtbl is a table of function pointers)
- Less readable / maintainable (for obvious reasons)

You might as well use the builtin language features instead of trying to reimplement the.

Documents [ GDNet | MSDN | STL | OpenGL | Formats | RTFM | Asking Smart Questions ]
C++ Stuff [ MinGW | Loki | SDL | Boost. | STLport | FLTK | ACCU Recommended Books ]
"Debugging is twice as hard as writing the code in the first place. Therefore, if you write the code as cleverly as possible, you are, by definition, not smart enough to debug it." — Brian W. Kernighan
At that point you''re beginning to simulate virtual tables. Additionally, every time an object is created, you would end up assigning "funcPointer" to each base class''s Update function.

Just suck the cost up; you''re more likely to cause serious hard to find bugs and waste your time looking for a way around viritual functions than if you would just use them.

A good analogy to your question is explained by Scott Meyers in "Effective C++". His analogy has to do with trying to avoid creating a temporary object by returning a reference. You have to read the item (Item 26) to fully enjoy his explaination as to why you should just suck it up.

In summary, write a solid, flexible design, THEN optimize
quote:Original post by Greg K
Is there any slowdown when using virtual functions?

Compared to what?
quote:
If it is NOT a good idea, does anyone know of a suitable alternative.

If you need runtime despatch, no. If you don''t need runtime despatch, don''t use virtual functions.
quote:Original post by SabreMan
Compared to what?

Compared to not using them.

[edited by - Waverider on October 16, 2002 8:11:15 AM]
It's not what you're taught, it's what you learn.
Eating food makes you fat.

The world holds two classes of men -- intelligent men without religion, and religious men without intelligence. - Abu''l-Ala-Al-Ma''arri (973-1057; Syrian poet)
--AnkhSVN - A Visual Studio .NET Addin for the Subversion version control system.[Project site] [IRC channel] [Blog]

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement