anybody checked out Sams new DirectX book?

Started by
7 comments, last by Quiggy 21 years, 6 months ago
Like the subject says, has anybody had a look at the newly released "Sams teach yourself Game Programming with DirectX in 21 days"? I havn''t seen it in any of the bookstores here yet and there aren''t any reviews of it over at Amazon. I''m curious to see if it will be any good and was hoping maybe somebody here could let us know a little more about it. Quiggy.
Advertisement
I wouldn''t trust a Sams book teaching you about game programming. The only Sams book that I liked was teach yourself C++ in 21 days. I''d just stick with some of lamothe''s books.

GPAIO
Role-playing games with direct x
Why isn''t there any backward compatibility! Intel processors are all backward compatible... may be it''s not such a good thing but it''s better than to start every thing from scratch, isn''t it ?
quote:Original post by ThomasSauder
I wouldn't trust a Sams book teaching you about game programming. The only Sams book that I liked was teach yourself C++ in 21 days. I'd just stick with some of lamothe's books.

No offense, but, Heh. Heh heh heh.

Lamothe wrote 'Sams Teach Yourself Game Programming in 21 days' back in 1994.

[edited by - cheesegrater on October 16, 2002 2:13:21 PM]
About the book:

The introductory chapters provide a solid basis in using Direct3D and DirectSound in a 2D gaming environment, providing not only the necessary theoretical discussions, but also sample programs that demonstrate the concepts discussed. Once the reader learns these basic DirectX techniques, the book leads the reader through the design and programming of a console-style computer role-playing game. As the reader builds the game piece by piece, he not only applies what he''s learned about Direct3D and DirectSound, but also learns the fundamental skills needed to program games. Currently, no other book on the market covers the same material.

Award-winning authorClayton Walnum has been writing about computers for two decades. In the 80''s, Clay published many computer games in Atari computer magazines and eventually became the Executive Editor of two monthly Atari magazines, ANALOG Computing and ST-Log. Over the course of his career, he has written many books on graphics and game programming, covering such technologies as Visual Basic, C++, OpenGL, and DirectX. Some of these books include Sams Teach Yourself Game Programming with Visual Basic 6 in 21 Days, Dungeons of Discovery: Writing Dazzling Windows Games with WinG, 3-D Graphics Programming with OpenGL, and Creating Turbo C++ Games. Clay holds a degree in Computer Science.

(Taken from Amazon, there you can read some sample pages from chapter 3)
About the book:

The introductory chapters provide a solid basis in using Direct3D and DirectSound in a 2D gaming environment, providing not only the necessary theoretical discussions, but also sample programs that demonstrate the concepts discussed. Once the reader learns these basic DirectX techniques, the book leads the reader through the design and programming of a console-style computer role-playing game. As the reader builds the game piece by piece, he not only applies what he''s learned about Direct3D and DirectSound, but also learns the fundamental skills needed to program games. Currently, no other book on the market covers the same material.

Award-winning author Clayton Walnum has been writing about computers for two decades. In the 80''s, Clay published many computer games in Atari computer magazines and eventually became the Executive Editor of two monthly Atari magazines, ANALOG Computing and ST-Log. Over the course of his career, he has written many books on graphics and game programming, covering such technologies as Visual Basic, C++, OpenGL, and DirectX. Some of these books include Sams Teach Yourself Game Programming with Visual Basic 6 in 21 Days, Dungeons of Discovery: Writing Dazzling Windows Games with WinG, 3-D Graphics Programming with OpenGL, and Creating Turbo C++ Games. Clay holds a degree in Computer Science.

(Taken from Amazon, there you can read some sample pages from chapter 3)
I got the book a couple of days ago, and I really like the way its put together so far. There is a dissapointment that came with it though, which was that most of it uses IDirect3DSurface''s instead of IDirect3DTexture''s (although it does explain a little about textures), hence having to resort to the sslllloooowwww CopyRects() function. Still, you do make a fully working 2D RPG by the end of the book, which is cool.
Life is all about expression, so express yourself.
Hey mosh!! Can you post here any screenshot from the sample rpg game??...I waiting for the book and I wonder how the game looks like and what is the gameplay like...I also wonder if the sprite animation has the quality of old super nes games like Zelda or chrono trigger...or it is amateur crap..

thanks
I heard it was something similar to the old Ultima series...and seriously, I didn´t like the animation in those games...I remember the characters moved from one tile to another, not smooth...not like in Zelda where the people could move freely in the screen...and where you had a very nice scroll..

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement