physics of a flying bulllet

Started by
16 comments, last by Peaceman 21 years, 6 months ago
Ooohhh! Oh! And don't forget about relativistic effects

[edited by - cedricl on October 17, 2002 11:07:42 AM]
Advertisement
Also in reality the bullet hops up a bit as it comes out of the gun, how much this is really depends on the gun itself. But then this is easily modelled by adding a small vertical motion to the bullet when it is fired.
Shouldn't be much a problem with varying gravitational forces. You simply have to keep increasing the degree of the position equation until you have an accurate flight path, or one that matches your varying gravitational fields blah blah blah insert buzzword here

[edited by - Zipster on October 17, 2002 12:31:39 PM]
Don`t forget the rotation of the bullet caused by the riflings !
That adds a stabilizing effect.

Add to that the type of powder used(changes velocity slightly)

Then don`t forget about bullet deformation on impact- you simply have to have that correct- which requires knowing the bullet material. Does it pop a hole through you, or does it gut you like a dull knife pushed in your stomach and jerked down ?:D

hahah

Just do a reasonably accurate approximation.

Bugle4d
~V'lionBugle4d
quote:Original post by Vlion
Don`t forget the rotation of the bullet caused by the riflings !
That adds a stabilizing effect.

Isn''t this caused by air friction? We''re in space, so it''s not valid!

The Doppler effect is still there, though. So if the bullet is flying away from you, it should look more red than normal

Cédric
quote:Original post by cedricl
Isn''t this caused by air friction? We''re in space, so it''s not valid!

The Doppler effect is still there, though. So if the bullet is flying away from you, it should look more red than normal

Cédric

This gives me a bumper sticker idea. "If this looks blue you''re driving too fast!"

______________________________________________________________________________________The Phoenix shall arise from the ashes... ThunderHawk -- ¦þ"So. Any n00bs need some pointers? I have a std::vector<n00b*> right here..." - ZahlmanMySite | Forum FAQ | File Formats______________________________________________________________________________________
quote:Original post by Anonymous Poster
But in space you have to take into account how the gravitation field varies in different locations. The uniform gravitation model used above is then probably not what you want.

If you''re doing it in space, then "to take into account how the gravitation field varies in different locations", you will need to use the universal law of gravitation.

Fg = G*(m1*m2) / (r*r);

where:

Fg is the force of gravity acting on the object
G is the Universal Gravitational Constant (6.67 * 10^-11 Nm^2/kg^2) -> Newton Metres Squared per Kg Squared
m1 & m2 are the masses of the 2 objects (ie bullet and meteor)
r is the separation (distance) between the objects

Hope this helps.
:: h0-0t ::
OK guys, enough...
I didn''t want to model those bullets that exact...
Thx to all of your replies, I particularly like the bumper sticker idea...

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement