stuff id directplay for directx x89 and 9

Started by
4 comments, last by ktuluorion 21 years, 6 months ago
ok i have a question if i write my server in dx 8 and i write my client in dx9 will they wortk together? sorry i''m kind of drunk right now but i really wanted to post this before i forgot. so please forgive me posting retarded.
[Piebert Entertainment] [Ask The All-Knowing Oracle A Question]------------------------------------------------------------GDSFUBY GameDev Society For UnBanning YodaTheCodaIf you want to see yoda unbanned then put this in your sig ------------------------------------------------------------DAIAGA Dave Astle is a God Association. To join, put this in your sig!Founder and High Priest of DAIAGA[edited by - YodaTheCoda on December 10, 2003 1:57:54 PM]
Advertisement
If you mean can you use DirectPlay 8 in your server and DirectPlay 9 in your client? Maybe. (Probably not).

If you mean can you use Direct3D 9 for graphics and DirectPlay 8 for the multiplayer stuff, the answer is yes you can.

So if you write your multiplayer code for DP8, it will work with future version of DirectX
quote:Original post by Xiol
If you mean can you use DirectPlay 8 in your server and DirectPlay 9 in your client? Maybe. (Probably not).

If you mean can you use Direct3D 9 for graphics and DirectPlay 8 for the multiplayer stuff, the answer is yes you can.

So if you write your multiplayer code for DP8, it will work with future version of DirectX

No, I meant DP8 and DP9. I wasn''t sure if HOW the data was sent would differ or not. The reason I was asking is because one terminal I work on (day) is running DX8 SDK, while the other is running DX9 (i''m on beta, don''t worry.) It''s basically an issue of needing DX9 on the one terminal and not being able to switch, so I suppose I will just have to do all development on the other.

(they are in two locations about 40 mins away from each other)

Thanks a lot,
Mike
[Piebert Entertainment] [Ask The All-Knowing Oracle A Question]------------------------------------------------------------GDSFUBY GameDev Society For UnBanning YodaTheCodaIf you want to see yoda unbanned then put this in your sig ------------------------------------------------------------DAIAGA Dave Astle is a God Association. To join, put this in your sig!Founder and High Priest of DAIAGA[edited by - YodaTheCoda on December 10, 2003 1:57:54 PM]
If you''re worried, you can always do both using DP8. As a rule of COM, new interfaces must support all the old interfaces, so anything programmed for DP8 will work with the DP9 SDK.
If however you particularly want access to new/better features of DP9, then you will most definately have to use DP9 for both.
If you do an application. It is imperative that you make it so that all nodes are using the same dx version that the application is written in. So, my answer to you is that even if you could you should not. It is begging for trouble. Besides since both you and I am in beta you should have a look in the docs and check the obvious ;-) the answer is staring you right in the face (it is as clear as I can be with leaking information)
If you do an application. It is imperative that you make it so that all nodes are using the same dx version that the application is written in. So, my answer to you is that even if you could you should not. It is begging for trouble. Besides since both you and I am in beta you should have a look in the docs and check the obvious ;-) the answer is staring you right in the face (it is as clear as I can be without leaking information)

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement