ASCII Fishtank Mini Contest!

Started by
210 comments, last by Michalson 20 years, 4 months ago
Since I can''t be bothered looking for the "next mini-comp suggestion" thread, i''ll post here...

How about an ascii bird-cage? heh that would be fun.

Im eager to see another mini-comp, because it provides excellent motivation (partly because of a deadline). Last mini-comp I learned SOOOO much. It really helped me out.
Advertisement
quote:Original post by doogle
Since I can''t be bothered looking for the "next mini-comp suggestion" thread, ...
so you had to bother me?

how about we have a ASCII d&d Contest, now wouldent that be cool
Howabout the winner of the last contest decides on a new one, and the judges have the right to veto it.

-This is where the world drops off
-ryan@lecherousjester.com
quote:Original post by Run_The_Shadows
Howabout the winner of the last contest decides on a new one, and the judges have the right to veto it.

I like that. It could be a tradition that previous contest winners decide on the next one. At least then there will be a prize...

Colors:

From first post:

I know this contest is over with, but color #6 (RGB = 168,168,0) in the above graphic is not what I see. I have found that all WinXP machines default to these colors for console, but with the exception of that, I have never seen a computer (pre-WinXP) with color #6 being the color shown here. It has always been a brown color (RGB = 168,84,0):

From my computer:

These are the colors I have always seen. Color #6 was always a brown color, not a darkened yellow.

I thought I should mention this, since people writing programs for one color palette will not look proper on all machines. You should support both. You should note that the palette I have shown does not have 'pure' colors which will make color matching more difficult (i.e. the results may not look as great as what you would see with the better palette of pure colors).

Fonts:

The characters on my machine are no longer the same as they once were back in the good ol' DOS days. The back then characters match the fonts shown in this thread.

From first post:

But my current machine's font has changed - even if I go into fullscreen.

From my computer:

Notably, some of the half full, half empty characters are missing. Anyone creating a demo relying on the fonts being the same as this graphic would not look proper on some machines, as a result.

Jason Doucette
www.jasondoucette.com

[edited by - Jason Doucette on January 15, 2003 9:11:49 AM]
Jason Doucette / Xona.comDuality: ZF — Xbox 360 classic arcade shmup featuring Dual Play
Hey There,

Well now, would it be possible to convert or stream an MPEG through a program and actually conevert it into an ASCII MPEG or just stream it into the program so it''s like an ASCII viewer? Just wondering but I think that would be just the cooledt. Watch all your favourite films in colour ascii...

STVOY

Pyre Light Studios (Under Construction)

Is there any way to read or set the 16 color palette in a win32 console? I can find no information on this.

Jason Doucette
www.jasondoucette.com
Jason Doucette / Xona.comDuality: ZF — Xbox 360 classic arcade shmup featuring Dual Play
[Troll post removed]
[I've sent an email to the address in your real account. Consider it your first and last warning before a ban.]

[edited by - michalson on January 24, 2003 12:13:49 PM]
A friend and I have already successfully loaded a bitmap into a console window :D We have also mapped it to a triangle and applied alpha masking and alpha blending... I wrote an RGBCOLOR struct capable of translating RGB values to CHAR_INFO and back again, and we are getting a little less than 1280 colors :D

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement