My first somewhat meaningful demo!

Started by
5 comments, last by DalTXColtsFan 21 years, 6 months ago
I know you''re not supposed to just come in here and blatantly brag but I just finished my first OpenGL program that''s more than a spinning cube and I''m all proud and stuff - I feel like I reached a milestone. It''s at http://home.att.net/~tennisman1/ACity.zip, and it''s a Visual C++ 6.0 workspace. I use CString and CFile classes for debugging - if you get an assert validation, do a search for "coordinates.open" and check the filename. All it is is just 4 rows of 6 buildings and 3 robots that I borrowed *coughstolecough* from Game Programming with OpenGL walking up and down the streets. You can move around in it and stuff using the cursor keys. You''ll see quickly that I still have a long way to go, but it''s something! I have 2 other demos in the works that I should have up within the next couple weeks - one combines OpenGL with MFC by means of a PropertySheet dialog where you can experiment with materials and lighting by clicking spin controls up and down, another is a multiple-document-type, multiple-view type MFC application where one document type implements 3D views as part of OpenGL. You can be sure I''ll be back to brag about those too! Enjoy, and I certainly welcome any feedback. (P.S. I''m not really this cocky I''m just in a silly mood right now! )
Advertisement
Requires MFC, which I don't have apparently. I probably elected not to install it when installing VC++. Anyway, you should mention it requires this

~CGameProgrammer( );

EDIT: Oh, you did. Well say it in 36-pt font so dumbasses like myself notice it.

[edited by - CGameProgrammer on October 21, 2002 5:45:59 AM]
~CGameProgrammer( );Developer Image Exchange -- New Features: Upload screenshots of your games (size is unlimited) and upload the game itself (up to 10MB). Free. No registration needed.
quote:Original post by CGameProgrammer
Requires MFC, which I don''t have apparently. I probably elected not to install it when installing VC++. Anyway, you should mention it requires this

~CGameProgrammer( );

EDIT: Oh, you did. Well say it in 36-pt font so dumbasses like myself notice it.

[edited by - CGameProgrammer on October 21, 2002 5:45:59 AM]

Was that ~CGameProgrammer thing a remark of the destruction of the game programmer profession? .

My favorite "geek joke" is to tell someone they''re as useless as an unoverridden virtual function.

I guess my VC++ experience has been so exclusively MFC I can''t even imagine life without it! My bad.
Not bad!

Change the .open parameter to just be "output.txt". That will avoid the assertion error.
It's not what you're taught, it's what you learn.
quote:Original post by Waverider
Not bad!

Change the .open parameter to just be "output.txt". That will avoid the assertion error.

Thanks - both for taking a look and for the tip.
Create a release-version of it so it works on "normal" systems; I tried, but got a runtime-error, you must be enabling some bizarre switches.
quote:Original post by Anonymous Poster
Create a release-version of it so it works on "normal" systems; I tried, but got a runtime-error, you must be enabling some bizarre switches.

I''ll assume you''re actually asking me to instead of telling me to . Just kidding!

I have the evaluation version of InstallShield Express at home, I''ll try something with that, I don''t think just compiling a release EXE is enough because I use MFC.

As far as switches, I haven''t even started learning all that stuff. I guess I''d better!

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement