Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

why doesn't my D3DXVec3Dot(...) equal 1.57..?

This topic is 5531 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

hiya, D3DXVECTOR3 v1(1.0f, 0.0f, 0.0f); D3DXVECTOR3 v2(0.0f, 1.0f, 0.0f); float answer = D3DXVec3Dot(&v1, &v2); why does answer equals zero? also, am doing that to check for collision, is that okey? many thanks, [edited by - mickey on October 21, 2002 12:42:08 PM]

you''re taking a dot product of two perpendicular vectors, which will always be zero. to find a magnitude of the sum of the vectors, which is what you seem to be after, use sqrt(d3dxvec3lengthsq(&v1)+d3dxvec3lengthsq(&v2)).

i always come across ''the dot product of two vectors can give us the angle in between'' shoot, i didn''t realize that the result(dot product) of this is what will help us to get the angle. all along i thought the dot product was the angle!

hehe thanks guys!

Let's see... isn't it...

A.Dot(B) == A.Length() * B.Length() * cos(angle_between_them)

?

If that's true, then:

angle = acos(A.Dot(B) / (A.Length()*B.Length()) );

... I think.

[edited by - Nypyren on October 22, 2002 3:28:57 AM]

uh did i get this thing right... this method of getting the dot product is not useful? dot = v1 * v2 = (vx1 * vx2) + (vy1 * vy2) ? we should be using the other method which nypyren said?

also, do i have to normalized the vector before getting their dot product because the dot product should only be between -1.0 to +1.0?

thanks,