GLaux library

Started by
5 comments, last by DrPimento 21 years, 6 months ago
Hm. While working through the tutorials here, me and a student of mine came up with a binding error.. I wrote NeHe (pardon the naming convention.. I don''t know his real name. Yes, I''m a "newbie". ) and he said we needed the GLaux.lib, and to ask on here for how/where to get it? Any response would be appreciated! Thanks, >-~~-> Dr. Pimento
Advertisement
GLAux lib is included with MSVC++ 5/6/7 and I think with other compilers such as borland. But I would not recommend working with the glaux library, there are much better libs out there.
GraphicsWare|RenderTechhttp://www.graphicsware.com3D Graphics & Solutions
It comes with your compiler.

But as mentioned, GLAux == evil. Don't use it, it is highly deprecated. Someone should really rewrite the NeHe tutorials that use it, they are teaching a very bad habit...

quote:
pardon the naming convention.. I don't know his real name

Jeff Molofee. But I don't think he'll mind being called NeHe

[edited by - Yann L on November 7, 2002 12:07:04 PM]
The error is as follows:

[Linker Error]Unresolved external ''auxDIBImageLoadA'' referenced from C:\Program files\Borland\CBuilder5\GLWork.obj

I did a search, and came up with the GLaux.lib file, in the "lib" folder. (Running Borland C++builder 5)..

If GLaux == evil then what is != evil? Or.. what should we use? I am (as mentioned in my first post, I believe..) rather new at this.. for now, if the tutorials will work with the GLaux, even if it''s not best.. perhaps it would be best to learn with it? Then branch out when we''ve got the exp. under our "belts", per se.

Suggestions? Comments? Questions?

Thanks for the help thus far.. much, much appreciated!

>-~~-> Dr. Pimento
GLUT is a good library to use, and is very similar to aux, and you can find it pretty easily with a search on google. However, I don''t believe it has built in bitmap loading, which it looks like you are using. There is a ton of code out there for loading bitmaps for use in OpenGL though.
A quick Google search revealed this:

GLAUX

I have never used GLAUX so please do not send me any questions about it.

The OpenGL libraries contain a set of auxiliary windows functions defined in glaux.h that allow you to write OpenGL applications that will compile, link, and run on both a PC and a SGI workstation. Unfortunately, the GLAUX.LIB file that comes with Borland C++ 5.0x will not link with your application.

I have seen two remedies posted in the Borland and OpenGL newsgroups.

1) The GLAUX.LIB source is contained in MS''s Win32 SDK (actually, it''s the Multimedia Extensions SDK). If this is true then you should be able build a Borland compatible version from it. Ronald Praver has created a Borland compatible GLAUX.LIB file that you can download from his web site. I assume that he used the SDK source to build the library.

2) Use the glaux.lib that came with BC++ 4.5. I have never tried this so I can''t say that it WILL work.

GLAUX has known memory leaks and should not be used for application development. The only reason for listing Mr. Praver''s web site is because some tutorials on the Internet use GLAUX functions, particularly, the auxRGBImageLoad and auxDIBImageLoad functions. I strongly suggest that you do not use these functions for applications that you develop. There are several libraries on the Internet that you can use to load images into OpenGL. Several can be found on www.sourceforge.net. My BMGLib library can be used as well.

Also, take a look at this page, apparently someone already modified the NeHe tutorials to work without GLaux.

/ Yann
I also find very little use for glaux, besides BMP loading. And I wrote my BMP loader in a few hours.
Dissadvantages of glaux:
1. Not portable (works only on windows)
2. Big .dll file (over 1 MB)
3. Doesn''t come by default with WIndows, so you have to redistribute it to those who you want to give your applications.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement