Dev C++ Compiler - Help

Started by
6 comments, last by Atomic- 21 years, 5 months ago
hey, i just downloaded Dev C++ Compiler, and could someone tell me how to config the direct x sdk on it? one more thing, think i should learn all of C++ an then go on to game development? i wanted to jus skip right to directdraw, so, please help!, thanks..
Atomic-
Advertisement
You should be fairly confident in C++ before you even think about moving onto graphics programming. You make be able to pick it up, but you will be grateful later on when you need to know the fundamentals.

As for the DX SDK, your best bet would be to download the libraries made for Dev-C++. Run the vUpdate program, and there will be an option to download a DX8.1 DevPak. Get that.

|.dev-c++.|.the gimp.|.seti@home.|.dbpoweramp.|.torn.|.=w=.|
Poor unsuspecting n00b. It would be a good idea to learn most of C++ before even attempting to think about DirectX. DirecX is very very ugly to program, I certainly wont dirty my hands with that terrible API. If you want to jump straight into graphics and such, try Allegro (search google for "Allegro Game Programming".
Poor unsuspecting n00b. It would be a good idea to learn most of C++ before even attempting to think about DirectX. DirecX is very very ugly to program, I certainly wont dirty my hands with that terrible API. If you want to jump straight into graphics and such, try Allegro (search google for "Allegro Game Programming".
Which version did you download? If it was the latest version (4.9.6 i think) you should be able to use vupdate to get the directx sdk for it. It should install itself correctly. You should probably learn at least some C++ before getting on to game development though.
Hope this helps
Joshua
No doubt, I don''t know why I asked if I should learn C++ first. I think I got the latest DirectX SDK. Oh yea, has anyone ever read Tricks of Windows Game Programming? Cause, I was looking at it in a book store, and it seemed pretty good, for a beginner, or noobie... I think I could learn 2d and 3d from it, after all, its a pretty big book. The C.D. came with engines, examples, SDK, etc... Okay, thanks...
Atomic-
quote:Original post by Anonymous Poster
Poor unsuspecting n00b. It would be a good idea to learn most of C++ before even attempting to think about DirectX. DirecX is very very ugly to program, I certainly wont dirty my hands with that terrible API. If you want to jump straight into graphics and such, try Allegro (search google for "Allegro Game Programming").

Hey now, DX isn''t that bad

I learned the majority of my C++ through the DirectX SDK and the examples and documentation that came with it.

If you''re comfident in yourself, have a good enough knowledge of how Windows works and can learn rapidly from example, I recommand the DirectX SDK (which can be obtained on microsoft''s site, but I don''t know if it''s compatible with Dev C++; I''ve only had experience with MSVC).

But personally, I recommand you start by the basics if you''ve never coded in C/C++ before. Make simple programs, familiarize yourself with pointers, functions, the language''s basic instructions (loops, conditional if''s, etc.) and just keep trying harder and harder things until you feel comfortable with C++. Then you should move on. But if you try doing stuff you still don''t understand at all before learning the basics, you''re sure to have quite a hard time.
Ok, thanks, I am learning C++, and am going to get the book I wanted... Maby anyone who wants to voulinteer in a game im planning out to create, Diffuse Nebula , I''ll post more info on it on this forum sooner or later, IF your intersted, I don''t have any money to pay anyone, alright, thanks again, cya later...
Atomic-

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement