To give source code or not to give source code, that is the question.

Started by
26 comments, last by Rob_Loach 21 years, 5 months ago
All I want to know is what kind of game is it?

3D, 2D; RPG, Action?

I''m just curious.
"I thought Genius lived in bottles..." - Patrick Star
Advertisement
It''s a 2D action/adventure/RPG. We''re working on the graphics right now.

- Rob Loach
OverTech Technologies
-----------
"Life moves pretty fast. If you don''t stop and look around once in awhile, you could miss it."
- Ferris Bueller
Rob Loach [Website] [Projects] [Contact]
"open-source is exactly like plagarism"

somebody smack''em...

sourceforge owns
linux owns
gnu owns
free knowledge owns
open-source owns
you''re ignorant
quote:Original post by Anonymous Poster
let those lazy people make their own engines. open-source is exactly like plagarism. why would you give something you worked at for countless hours to just give it away for free. screw it!

It''s very very hard to make a complete engine and whoever has actually succeeded in doing it knows that it is. These people are, usually, willing to help others through the battle of doing it by a number of ways. They could make some tutorials to lead as a guide for others or, in my case, give out the source code so that people could learn from it.

- Rob Loach
OverTech Technologies
-----------
"Life moves pretty fast. If you don''t stop and look around once in awhile, you could miss it."
- Ferris Bueller
You could also give out the source, and not the content :-P

~~~~~Screaming Statue Software. | OpenGL FontLibWhy does Data talk to the computer? Surely he's Wi-Fi enabled... - phaseburn
quote:Original post by esuvs
I''m no lawyer, but there are a couple of things to consider.

First if you license the game under the GPL then other people can contribute to it but they can''t use it commercially. And you can still sell it (without their contributions) because you still earn the code.

Secondly, to sell it''s going to need to be pretty good, because there are a lot of good projects out there which are LGPL and so can be used commercially. E.g Crystal Space, OGRE, etc.

About not being able to use the code commercially....says who?
Legally no one is obligated to release programs for free. I can take your program, change nothing at all, and sell it under the GPL. I have not done anything wrong legally. Nothing prevents a GPLed program from being used/sold commercially. LGPL and BSD licenses might be better for what the developer wants to do, but GPL does not mean "not commercial" at all. If you go to http://gnu.org and read through what Free means, it does not mean free as in beer. It means Free as in speech, which means you can sell software released under the GPL.
Too many people on Gamedev.net think otherwise for some reason.
Please keep the facts straight.
-------------------------GBGames' Blog: An Indie Game Developer's Somewhat Interesting ThoughtsStaff Reviewer for Game Tunnel
That''s a good idea dede! I''m suprised that wasn''t brought up earlier. So simple!

- Rob Loach
OverTech Technologies
-----------
- Ferris Bueller
You miss the entire point of Open Source Software sir AP.

Open Source is not about giving away source so people can rip you off and learn to copy from it. It really has very little to do with the purpose of educating people in any way. Richard Stallman did not have a vision to make all source code available so people could learn from it and copy it for themselves.

GPL makes all the source to the software OPEN, so that no particular person, company, or entity can claim ownership of the source code or intellectual property rights of it and control it. It is open to anyone who wishes to use it, and to modify it and and make those modifications available back to the public so that it can be made available to everyone who wishes to use those modifications. It is OPEN in the sense that no one entity has owndership of the source code in any way and the source code MUST be made open and available. You can not modify a GPL protected project and keep the modifications to yourself it is an infringement of the copyless license and it is a legal contract you agree upon by using that software.

Very few of those unix hackers could give two cents if you learn squat from their code. The philosophy is that the source is open so that ANYONE can view it and see for themselves how it works (ie no hidden agendas). Unlike some operating systems you have to hold your breath what it is really doing in there. It''s also there so that you can modify it and fix it if need be. It all started with a printer driver, so I am told.

Now as for making your project open, that''s up to you. There are many open source engines already out there too. It depends on your direction what you want to do. I doubt you''d make much money at it just being honest, unless you got capital to get artists or you are also an excellent artist as well. You might make some money off it maybe. I doubt it though. Might as well open it up and let others take a look at it. Maybe some will want to improve on it. Maybe it''ll grow into a huge project like OGRE or Crystal Space. You could set up a team on Sourceforge.net and be the team leader of it and help direct it''s future. Incorporate more features than you have time to do.

That''s really what open source is about. Opening it up so that many people can collaborate on something and improve on it. Look at KDE. It''s as powerful as Windows now. Many people work togethor to make such software available.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement