Very Important,please reply.

Started by
15 comments, last by Stranger 21 years, 4 months ago
I am currently going to choose which path to take for programming a 3d engine.I am thinking of C# and OpenGL.However i want the professional opinion from people working currently in the field whether it is possible to find job or master degree as a 3d game programmer with C#.Since C# is going for ANSI I dont think that it will be a problem about portability however anyone that has any idea about how DX9 is going to implement C# please reply. In other words,C# and OpenGL has a future?Lets face it C++ is complicated.
Advertisement
Personally I don''t think you should be developing a 3D engine if you can''t even learn c++ first.
||--------------------------||Black Hole Productionshttp://bhp.nydus.netResident expert on stuffmax621@barrysworld.com||--------------------------||
Great answer what can I say brilliant.
C# or C++... it doesn''t matter what language you specifically learn. You need to develop general problem solving skills and learn (by writing lots of code yourself) how to apply those in a computer program.

Don''t worry too much about which language (I mean don''t go off and learn Pascal, stick to C++ or C#) Learn how to program and learn the math and theory of 3D. Do this in whatever language you choose.

I will say this though, as someone just learning game programming now (been a professional software developer for 9 years though) that most everything I find on the net or in books right now is heavily slanted toward C++. I guess C# is relatively new, but rest assured C++ is not going away any time soon.

I hope this helps.
My vote goes for C++ and DirectX.

I haven''t heard of any companies that are planning to shift to using C#, nor can I think of any reason why they would want to.

Former Microsoft XNA and Xbox MVP | Check out my blog for random ramblings on game development

Why they would want to? Efficiency my friend, if you can develop code in a fast safer method why wouldn''t you go that route? Why did people switch from C to C++? Because it cut''s code bloat in half through OOP. I wouldn''t highly doubt that the industry would switch from C++ to C# in the future, maybe not the near future but I wouldn''t doubt it.

Also I highly agree with the above poster that you should learn how to solve problems. Learning general problem solving skills in c/c++/c# is what you need to worry about concurrently not what language is the future of gamedevelopment(in my opinion). I feal having a strong background in C++ it is easy to make the switch to c#''s managed code, and still maintaining all the general problem solving skills that you have aquired.
What is the difference between C++ and C#?
Is it just like switching for C to C++ or is it a totally different language?

My funnies:
"My mom was a ventriloquist and she always was throwing her voice. For ten years I thought the dog was telling me to kill my father."
and:
"The longest word in the english language is the one that follows the phrase, ''''And now a word from our sponsor''''."
BoC HomepageLuck is a Horse to ride like any other...Luckily im not a gambler, I dont know how to ride.
C# compiles to managed code, similar to Java''s bytecode and it
runs on the .NET platform, similar to the Java runtime environment. It´s doesn´t compile to native win32 code, that´s why it sucks. The simplest apps run slow like hell both on
.NET and Java.
What is Managed C++ by the way and how this affect the game community.
Also,from what I''ve reading DX9 will use C# apart from C++ to write code.Anyone knows more about this?
quote:Original post by Stranger
What is Managed C++ by the way and how this affect the game community.

Managed C++ roughly means the program manages the memory on its own. so, if you dynamically allocate a block of memory, you don''t need to delete it, the program delete it by itself.
It won''t affect the game community because games don''t use managed C++. it''s not wise to use it in games because it''s too slow for games.

My compiler generates one error message: "does not compile."

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement