HardwareVertexProcessing Crashes

Started by
3 comments, last by Raeldor 21 years, 4 months ago
I have written a directX application that runs at an awful 2fps using SoftwareVertexProcessing, however when I turn on HardwareVertexProcessing it runs at about 400 fps, but crashes when panning the view of my scene. Does anyone know why this may be crashing? Do the vertexes need special handling? Is the 2fps in software vertex mode because I am using light processing, or is directX always this slow? Regards Ray
Advertisement
slowness is a function of your app and your hardware much more than it is a function of directx.

Can you say more about your app, hardware, hints given by the debug messages, etc.?

Author, "Real Time Rendering Tricks and Techniques in DirectX", "Focus on Curves and Surfaces"
Author, "Real Time Rendering Tricks and Techniques in DirectX", "Focus on Curves and Surfaces", A third book on advanced lighting and materials
Hahaha, I just bought your rendering tips book a few days ago... an excellent book, if I may say so.

My setup is a 1.4Ghz P4, Ti4600. It is hard to track down where the crash is occuring since I either get the BSOD or the machine just hangs.

Any tips for getting into the debugger before things get this screwed up? I thought hardware vertex processing would just be a matter of switching on the flag since the application works fine using software vertex processing :S.

Thanks

Ray
Try downloading your video cards newest drivers....
could be the drivers, but switch to the rebug driver in the directx control panel. Run the app and watch the output window. You should see helpful feedback (possibly).

thanks for the book comments

Author, "Real Time Rendering Tricks and Techniques in DirectX", "Focus on Curves and Surfaces"
Author, "Real Time Rendering Tricks and Techniques in DirectX", "Focus on Curves and Surfaces", A third book on advanced lighting and materials

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement