Decent freespace without the Decent

Started by
0 comments, last by DarkOne 23 years, 12 months ago
Before I make my inquiry and suggestions I would like to commend the creators of Decent Free Space for the way they had the mouse control setup for the combat part of the game. Decent Free Space is the first space simulation game that I have played that made the cross hair the cursor for the mouse. In all the other space simulation game I played the player had the cross hair and then the mouse cursor. To change the direction of the player''s ship the player would move the mouse cursor away form the cross hair. The problem that I had with this approach was that it seemed difficult to have a high percentage of shots fire that hit the sought after target. The only problem I had with the mouse setup in Decent Free Space was the difficulty that I had when the enemy ship would do some very extreme maneuvering. An example of extreme maneuvering is when the enemy ship quickly leaves the viewable area of the HUD. How I compensated for such quick actions was with the joystick. I used the joystick to place the enemy ship in viewing area and then the mouse for the precise aiming. I thought that maybe both mouse controls approaches could be used in next space game that is created by the people who created Decent Free Space. My suggestion is to have one button on the mouse toggle between them. I was wondering why the game called Decent Free Space did not retain any of the aspects from the two previous games called Decent and Decent 2. The reason I bring this up is because Decent Free Space spaceship control did not posses any of wonderful maneuverability that both Decent and Decent 2 had. The first two space simulation games that had some common sense in regards to next to none frictionless environments. In Decent Free Space there was an absence of a sideways, and an up and down movement with out rotating the player''s ship. In environments that had a noticeable atmosphere, say like earth or, mars, I could understand a ship design in movement and in shape similar to many of the airplanes that the human race uses, but in space I can not understand. In space there is next to none friction, and the gravitational pull is almost none-exists unless you are very close to a astronomical body, so why have a vessel control and shaped like a war plane. I must say the design for most of the ships is wonderfully done form an ascetic standpoint, but not from practical standpoint. Why do a majority of the ships have structures similar to wings and tail fines. Why does all of the terran ship except for the one that looks like a batwing have the cockpit place up front like an unnecessary add-on? The way the ships control in Decent Free Space and the terran-designed ships give a false sense of avoidance from in coming shots. With the pilot seat all the way in the front an in coming shot can seem as if it has been avoided by pulling up or pushing down, but truth is that the body of the ship is still some what in the way. Place the pilot seat in the middle or towards the back of the ship. The other suggestion is in regards to the lack of maneuverability. In order for the ships to move the way they do they already have necessary thrusters located on them to pull off maneuvers done in the decent games. What I would like to see is strafing, like in the decent games, you know the sideward movement in which your characters view is still facing the same way it was before moving sideways. The way the ships in Decent Free Space move are very ineffective when trying to avoid in coming shots. The whole idea that the ship must rotate then use its main thruster to move out the way of incoming object is to imply that the NASA space shuttle is more advance in its maneuvering ability. If nothing else is done to change the game as I mention above I would like to see a least the maneuverability of the ships to take in to consideration the lack atmospheric forces in space and to a leas use the already build in thruster in a more effective way when maneuvering. I hope that I did not insult anyone with what I have said. I would to hear back from anyone about what I have said.
Advertisement
Origianlly the game was to be named Freespace. However that was a copyright infringement in name, so they had to change it to Descent: Freespace (the publisher''s call).
You should check out Tachyon, I''d say the best evolved space combat I''ve seen to date.

"All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy." - The Shining

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement