Skip to main content
GameDev.net gamedev.net
🔒 Locked

What unpopular movies are good?

Started by Warsong Dec 9, 2002 at 11:16 PM 52 replies 8.1k views
Original Post
Warsong
Warsong
Bravo network has original 5 star movies which Hollywood is remaking a few of them and butchering them lol. See every TV station in the world from what Arafat really says to his people that the news doesn''t say to movies http://wwitv.com/portal.htm Well if you want some movies I would say The Big Lebouski -5 star movie Olina -(I think its called that and it use to be a play) Army of darkness -I just find it funny some anime and other movies that I cant remember now.
***Power without perception is useless, which you have the power but can you perceive?"All behavior consists of opposites. Learn to see backward, inside out and upside down."-Lao Tzu,Tao Te Ching Fem Nuts Doom OCR TS Pix mc
aegrimonia
aegrimonia
Films that never got critical acclaim... but that''s the critic''s fault at being foolish.

(No Particular order)

- Momento
- Jacob''s Ladder
- In The Mouth of Madness
- Snatch
- Fight Club
- Bull Durham
- The Last Boy Scout
- Until the End of the World

That''s all i can think of at the moment, more as I think of em''.
aegrimonia
aegrimonia
Also, one that i''m sure is going to flop at the box office, but is VERY 2001:A Space Odyssey-esque, Solaris, with George Clooney...

I''m going to go see it again in a day or two...

If you haven''t seen it, and you liked 2001, go see it... you''ll notice a LOT Of similarities.
nes8bit
nes8bit
Doesn''t anybody ever watch independent films?

---------------------------------------------
"Love is a disease"
Hitchhiker90
Hitchhiker90
There was a couple of indy films listed.
Hitchhiker90"There's one bitch in the world, one bitch with many faces" -- Jay"What are you people, on dope?" -- Mr. Hand
Arild Fines
Arild Fines
quote:
Original post by aegrimonia
Also, one that i''m sure is going to flop at the box office, but is VERY 2001:A Space Odyssey-esque, Solaris, with George Clooney...

I''m going to go see it again in a day or two...

Go see the original - a 3 hour movie made in Soviet in the early 70''s.



For those who believe in God, most of the big questions are answered. But for those of us who can''t readily accept the God formula, the big answers don''t remain stone- written. We adjust to new conditions and discoveries. We are pliable. Love need not be a command or faith a dictum. I am my own God. We are here to unlearn the teachings of the church, state, and our educational system. We are here to drink beer. We are here to kill war. We are here to laugh at the odds and live our lives so well that Death will tremble to take us -- Charles Bukowski
--AnkhSVN - A Visual Studio .NET Addin for the Subversion version control system.[Project site] [IRC channel] [Blog]
Prairie
Prairie
The ending was quite lame, but the overall concept of "The Cube" was pretty good.

- Prairie
Rob Loach
Rob Loach
The Boondock Saints might be the best movie I have ever seen. One of my friends found the DVD and we watched it and oh my god. Fantastic.

So, I really wanted this. I went out to HMV, they never heard of it. I went to Radioshack, "What''s Boondock Saints?". I went to MusicCity, THEY HAD IT!!! But all their copies were broken.

AHHH!!!!

I still havn''t seen a store that had a WORKING copy of Boondock Saints. The music in Boondock Saints was very good too.


Another movie that I thought was very good was "Pi". I never saw it in the theaters though. It was made not too long ago and filmed in black and white for effect. It''s a movie about a guy who finds out a very valuable equation and is hunted down by the government and stuff. I won''t give away the ending but it''s really good. It has awesome music by Clint Mansell in it too!

- Rob Loach
OverTech Technologies
----------
"I don''t know half of you half as well as I should like; And I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."
- Bilbo Baggins
Rob Loach [Website] [Projects] [
Sculder
Sculder
quote:
Original post by Rob Loach
The Boondock Saints might be the best movie I have ever seen. One of my friends found the DVD and we watched it and oh my god. Fantastic.



Boondock is on my 10 ten favs list.

This movie was banned in the US because it''s release date was about a week after columbine. I picked up the DVD in a BJ''s (like SAM''s club)for $9.99 USD. The only reason it''s being offered in the US is because of die hard fans of the movie that bought the DVD over-seas for like $80 USD. So thank those fans, as the director did in his commentary.

Btw, the commentary was sad to listen to because it sounds like he was so disappointed about his movie not being released that he won''t be making any more.

quote:
Original post by aegrimonia
Films that never got critical acclaim... but that''s the critic''s fault at being foolish.

(No Particular order)

- Momento
- Jacob''s Ladder
- In The Mouth of Madness
- Snatch
- Fight Club
- Bull Durham
- The Last Boy Scout
- Until the End of the World

That''s all i can think of at the moment, more as I think of em''.



I thought Momento, Snatch, Fight Club, and Bull Durham all got great reviews, and were critically accliamed.


For me I was upset to see that Pooty Tang got a Rotten Apple award. I think I''m the only one in the world that likes that movie.


___________________________
"It has been a very long time since I’ve ceased to be preoccupied with reality."

-Alfred Hitchcock

Little Raven''s Studio
___________________________"It has been a very long time since I’ve ceased to be preoccupied with reality."-Alfred HitchcockLittle Raven's Studio
Nibbles
Nibbles
Yep, The Boondock Saints is a great film, and they''re making the sequel although without Willem Dafoe. Donnie Darko is also one of my favourites, which i''m suprised to see that many people haven''t even heard of it. Army of Darkness is very close to being my all time favourite movie along with it''s predecessors Evil Dead and Evil Dead 2. All great movies

Scott


------------------------------------------------------------
Email
Website

"If you try and don''t succeed, destroy all evidence that you tried."
------------------------------------------------------------
TempusElf
TempusElf
The Big Lebowski is one of the funniest movies I''ve ever seen... It''s not independent and I don''t know if it was popular when it came out but I have yet to meet anyone who saw it before they met me.

System Shock 3 Petition I don''t know what this will accomplish but fill it out anyway
MDI
MDI
It''s been on UK TV a few times in the last couple of years, but I''ve never seen it.

If you like car chases, watch The Italian Job. The Americans are meant to be remaking it in America (travesty :-P), the whole appeal of the film was the British Minis in the car chase.

I seem to remember a film called PI about maths being decent as well, last time I saw it. Might not be though :-)
AnonymousPosterChild
AnonymousPosterChild
The Big Lebowski and a handful of animes you''ll only here of from specific fans.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"OH GOD! I JUST HIT ON A MODERATOR!"
- Me, after hitting on a moderator.
With love, AnonymousPosterChild
polly
polly
The first time I saw the Big Labowski I cried with laughter. Anything else by the Cohen brothers Ive seen is also great (Ive become a big fan), which includes:
Fargo
Barton Fink
Oh Brother Where art thou
As for UK films, theres not a lot been made here thats good in recent years, but some ones that I dont think got the praise they deserve:
Shallow Grave (Ewan McGregor before he became Obi Wan)
Ice Cold in Alex (B/W WWII)
Get Carter (remade by Sylvester Stallone-AAAAAAAAGH!!)
and a few others.
Jon

DarkHamster
DarkHamster
The Shawshank Redemption
and
Fight Club



"There is no dark side of the moon really,
As a matter of fact, its all dark."


"There is no dark side of the moon really,
As a matter of fact, its all dark."
Greven
Greven
I''m glad to see Boondock Saint''s here But I have to correct someone, it was released. I bought a copy at my local Best Buy a few months ago. So yes, it was released in the US.

Here''s an oldy by a goody, "Harold and Maude." Excellent film! Absolutely excellent!

Always remember, you''''re unique. Just like everyone else.
Always remember, you''re unique. Just like everyone else.Greven

Topic Locked

This topic has been locked by a moderator. New replies are not allowed.

Sign in to reply to this topic.