Skip to main content
GameDev.net gamedev.net
🔒 Locked

What do the initials A.I. stand for?

Started by Californium Dec 15, 2002 at 11:26 AM 22 replies 5.1k views
Original Post
Californium
Californium
What does AI stand for? I saw Steven King's "AI" but I never figured out what it means. Could one of you experts tell me? Or am I not the only one quandried by this 'commonplace' term. I think it means Autonomous Integration, go figure. [ MOD_EDIT: numerous blank lines deleted ] *LOL* I'm just kidding. You can bump me now. [edited by - Timkin on December 15, 2002 5:20:39 PM]
This post will self-destruct in 5 seconds...Actually, it's just Benjamin Bunny doing his thing.
Californium
Californium
This was part of a psychological test. If you read this thread, you were either dumbfounded about the term AI, or you were so "busy" that you decided to flame the poster to death.
This post will self-destruct in 5 seconds...Actually, it's just Benjamin Bunny doing his thing.
owl
owl
I thought the page was broken...
[size="2"]I like the Walrus best.
Iron Chef Carnage
Iron Chef Carnage
Holy crap, I thought it was a joke at first, but when I saw all the blank space beneath it, I started to wonder. Maybe you really were the biggest idiot in the universe, and not only could you not figure out the initials or recall who made the movie, but you couldn''t understand why [RETURN] didn''t send your post in. Overall, pretty funny. Nice one.

By the way, nobody actually researches artificial intelligence anymore, in the classic sense of perfectly emulating human intelligence. It''s been branded as "too big" for current research and technology. In fact, the hard-core behaviorists who worked on it refer to all game A.I. and automatic systems as "Artificial Idiocy", the skill of making an obsessive-compulsive retard that responds to very few stimuli and has a narrow range of responses.

So, in conclusion, this otherwise very funny thread touches on the serious subject of the futility of A.I. research, and the inherent hypocrisy in calling it Artificial Intelligence.

Well, you ask a silly question...
Grat
Grat
I especially like the way you put it in the Artificial Intelligence forum...
HunterTKilla
HunterTKilla
I think it stands for Artificial Incemination.
mmelson
mmelson
I always thought that A.I. stood for Artificial Idiocy.
Punty50
Punty50
AI does stand for something- artificial incemination. While at a tech program this summer, we took a trip to a local PA farm to see how they applied technology to their processes. Throughout the whole trip, the guy kept refering to AI, and I was wondering if they used expert systems or some sort of tracking programs to monitor their livestock. Well, I was extremely disappointed when I found out they were just talking about artificially inceminating their livestock to produce a better herd. Silly farmers mixing up clear cut CS terminology.
Brendan
Brendan"Mathematics is the Queen of the Sciences, and Arithmetic the Queen of Mathematics" -Gauss
Gameplayer
Gameplayer
Annoying Idiot, everyone knows that



My head speaks a language i dont understand.
You should listen to me, im 'Special'.Or so my physiatrist said.
Scheermesje
Scheermesje
My first thougt when I saw this thread was: "YEAAAH, a question i can answer." My second thougt was: "the guy will be to stupid.. why give him the answer"

Nice joke man :D
pan narrans
pan narrans
quote:
Original post by Californium
...you were either dumbfounded about the term AI, or you were so "busy" that you decided to flame the poster to death.

OR you thought: this must be some kind of joke, lets check it out


pan narrans
Study + Hard Work + Loud Profanity = Good Code
Minister of Propaganda : leighstringer.com : Nobody likes the man who brings bad news - Sophocles (496 BC - 406 BC), Antigone
Waverider
Waverider
You know, I''ve known a lot of people with Artificial Intelligence.
It's not what you're taught, it's what you learn.
mattB73
mattB73
Making a Game A.I. is making an intelligence that a human can understand and, therefore beat.

To make a hard game, make the NPC do something the player is thinking it will do, but for a different reason.

eg
Human - Hey! it''s going that way, this isn''t a helf-bad AI! But if I can just move over here and...
BOOM! GAME OVER.
Human - what? where did he come from?

But let''s face it. Who wan''t to play a game where the computer keeps winning?

-----------
"If the universe became a place without chaos then doubtless it would do something unexpected."
-----------"If the universe became a place without chaos then doubtless it would do something unexpected."
DaMangz
DaMangz
Automated Imbeciles

It is the art and science, of taking wonderful, expensive, and powerful digital computers, coupled with lots of degrees and certifications and an education that costs mucho dinero...

and then making them solve problems that humans can do faster, cheaper, and without having to go to MIT and spend $10 million on an education to do. Why spend billions on robots? Let a bunch of people get busy, reproduce, and put them to work on your labor line for .10 a day. Think I''m kidding? Ever wonder why everything is made in China and Taiwan??!?

Chess was proved a century ago that any idiot can learn to play it well.

A computer is the ultimate idiot savant. It does one thing extremely well. ( hmm, crashing???)

Everyone knows I am the only truly intelligent human being alive. I am a god. A deity! Worship me, peons! mUhaha...

JK.


Anyhoo I know this was all fer funz... so...























cowsarenotevil
cowsarenotevil
quote:
Original post by Anonymous Poster
Someone please tell me what''s the word used to describe initials or abbreviations for something that spells a word, like, "S.W.A.T."
I totally went blank and I forgot what it is called when you use an abbreviation for something. Help me please. Thanx.


Acronym. Or, perhaps, "necromancer."


"Unfortunatly, when I sent the email, instead of writing "Best Regards" I ended up writing "Best Retards." - boolean
-~-The Cow of Darkness-~-
Deranged
Deranged
quote:
Original post by Anonymous Poster
Someone please tell me what''s the word used to describe initials or abbreviations for something that spells a word, like, "S.W.A.T."
I totally went blank and I forgot what it is called when you use an abbreviation for something. Help me please. Thanx.


YOU ARE A RETARD! THIS IS A YEAR OLD! A FULL DAMN YEAR! THE GUY WHO POSTED THI IS BANNED! IM SICK OF ALL U FUCKTARDS!


Timkin
Timkin
For those that don''t know...the dredging up of old threads is commonly known as necromancy (raising the dead) and is considered very poor ettiquette. Indeed, on GameDev.net, we consider necromancy (w.r.t old threads) to be a serious offence. Consider this a warning to all... DON''T DO IT! It wastes the precious bandwidth that costs money. Please respect the fact that someone else is paying for your pleasure by providing this site to you free of charge!

This thread is now closed.

Timkin

Topic Locked

This topic has been locked by a moderator. New replies are not allowed.

Sign in to reply to this topic.