how did this happen?

Started by
7 comments, last by Muzlack 21 years, 4 months ago
Ok, I started making an RPG engine. After a while, I converted it to 16 bit. It worked fine on my computer, in fact, faster. I tried one version of it before I changed to 16 bit on another computer, and I it worked fine. Then I changed to 16 bit, and I think that''s where I started having problems with it. I''m not quite sure though. So far, my computer is the only computer I''ve seen that now runs the new version (thats 1/4) I think this was the only difference I made. The error message said something very brief like "Arean.exe has caused an error. If it continues, restart your computer" Has anyone else had similiar problems? Any clue why I have this problem? I''m using DX7 if that helps. Should I change back to 32 bit at the cost of speed?
--Muzlack
Advertisement
do the video cards support 16-bit mode? if you dont do your own error checking, you may get a problem when you fail to get the device then you try to use it.

Brian
Brian J
yes, they do support 16 bit color mode. But I heard somewhere *darn, can''t remember where* that some video cards actually use 15 bits per pixel rather than 16 bits. I''m not too familiar with this kind of stuff, but I can imagine that this would ruin things.
--Muzlack
There are two pixel formats for 16-bit modes (565 and 555, referring to R-G-B colour information); Google for these.
So if I modify my code to detect which one these should use, would that probably fix the problem?
--Muzlack
hi,
I had had the same problem once...
It''s easy to get the engine running...
if you compile your engine in debug mode
it uses special librarys not or in a wrong version
on the other pc''s... try to static link these librarys for
debug purposes...
The other way is to install a debugger and your src code
on the other machienes and debug your engine to find the problem... when it works in the debugged mode than, i''m sure
you have a library problem.... otherwise you got a serious bug
in your engine that needs to be found and solved!

sincerly Caspar
quote:Original post by Muzlack
So if I modify my code to detect which one these should use, would that probably fix the problem?

Nope. Generally the only problem this causes is that everything has the wrong hue.

I think your problem is elsewhere.

[ MSVC Fixes | STL | SDL | Game AI | Sockets | C++ Faq Lite | Boost | Asking Questions | Organising code files | My stuff ]
Don''t really know what the problem is, can only take a stab in the dark on this one. I would guess, a memory error of some kind. Maybe a pointer is the wrong size ? Since you converted to 16 bit, I would make sure your pointers are compliant. I believe they should be USHORT. That''s what I used im my 16 bit engine stuff which seems to work fine.

Just a guess though.

Guy
Hey... I think Caspar was right, about the debug. I have been sending the debug version to everyone. The only problem is, when I compile the version in Release, It''ll play the opening avi, display the opening picture, but then freeze. Is this something with the compiler settings? I did copy the linker libraries from the debug list. Is there anything else to do?
--Muzlack

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement