quaternions

Started by
36 comments, last by a2k 23 years, 11 months ago
err..

top = v_yaw * M;

should be:

top = top * M;
Advertisement
okay, i got the example to compile. i had to change my general settings to "using mfc" that library is an mfc library, so it has to be enabled.

a2k
------------------General Equation, this is Private Function reporting for duty, sir!a2k
WickedMystic,

The code "Anonymous Poster" posted is the exact same way implmented my demo. For every space ship, I added 3 points to the vertex list of the polygon model (0, 0, -1), (0, 1, 0) and (1, 0, 0). I use these 3 points as components for the 3 quarternions I use. So if I want to turn 5 degrees in the yaw turn I create a quatrnion using angle = 5 and the "yaw" point as the vector.

I probably haven''t looked deeply enough but I can''t find the problem Anonymous Poster" was having.

For the camera part. My camera has a view point and a x, y and z angle. To find the present viewpoint of a ship that I attached my camera to I wrote a function that gets the present x, y, z angles of the ship. To do that, I used the same "yaw," "pitch" and "roll" vectors. The first thing my function does make a copy of those vectors because I''m going to alter these vectors but I don''t want to change the points in my poly object''s vertex list. I then find the x angle by taking my pitch_copy angle, drop the x part of the vector and find the 2D angle between pitch_copy and (1,0) using the equation cos(angle) = (v1.v2)/(/v1//v2/). I then rotate the "yaw_copy" and "roll_copy" vectors buy 360 - xangle. I then take "yaw_copy" vector, drop the y part of the vector and get the 2D between the vector and (0, 1). I then take the y angle and rotate the "roll_copy" vector by 360 - yangle. I then take the "roll_copy" vector and drop the z part and find the angle between "roll_copy" and (0,1). Here''s the code for getting the present angles.

public void getPresentAngles(TrigLookupTable table, ArcCosLookup arcTable)
{
float temp_x, temp_y, temp_z;
Point3D forwardVector = Point3D.clone(_localVertices[_forwardVector]);
Point3D topVector = Point3D.clone(_localVertices[_topVector]);

_xAngle = get2DAngle(forwardVector._z, forwardVector._y, 1, 0, arcTable);
if(forwardVector._y > 0)
_xAngle = 360 - _xAngle;
float rotMat_0_0 = table._cos[360 - _xAngle];
float rotMat_0_1 = table._sin[360 - _xAngle];
float rotMat_1_0 = -(table._sin[360 - _xAngle]);
float rotMat_1_1 = table._cos[360 - _xAngle];
temp_y = forwardVector._y * rotMat_0_0 + forwardVector._z * rotMat_1_0;
temp_z = forwardVector._y * rotMat_0_1 + forwardVector._z * rotMat_1_1;
forwardVector._y = temp_y;
forwardVector._z = temp_z;
temp_y = topVector._y * rotMat_0_0 + topVector._z * rotMat_1_0;
temp_z = topVector._y * rotMat_0_1 + topVector._z * rotMat_1_1;
topVector._y = temp_y;
topVector._z = temp_z;

_yAngle = get2DAngle(forwardVector._x, forwardVector._z, 0, 1, arcTable);
if(forwardVector._x < 0)
_yAngle = 360 - _yAngle;
rotMat_0_0 = table._cos[360 - _yAngle];
rotMat_0_1 = -(table._sin[360 - _yAngle]);
rotMat_1_0 = table._sin[360 - _yAngle];
rotMat_1_1 = table._cos[360 - _yAngle];
temp_x = forwardVector._x * rotMat_0_0 + forwardVector._z * rotMat_1_0;
temp_z = forwardVector._x * rotMat_0_1 + forwardVector._z * rotMat_1_1;
forwardVector._x = temp_x;
forwardVector._z = temp_z;
temp_x = topVector._x * rotMat_0_0 + topVector._z * rotMat_1_0;
temp_z = topVector._x * rotMat_0_1 + topVector._z * rotMat_1_1;
topVector._x = temp_x;
topVector._z = temp_z;

_zAngle = get2DAngle(topVector._x, topVector._y, 0, 1, arcTable);
if(topVector._x > 0)
_zAngle = 360 - _zAngle;
}

public int get2DAngle(float a1, float b1, float a2, float b2, ArcCosLookup arcTable)
{

float dp = (a1 * a2 + b1 * b2);
return (int)arcTable.getArcCos((float) (dp/(Math.sqrt(a1 * a1 + b1 * b1) * Math.sqrt(a2 * a2 + b2 * b2))));
}

thanks a lot, guys. now i just gotta sit down and figure it all out. i''m learning slowly but surely. you''re ship thing is quite an inspiration, tc.

a2k
------------------General Equation, this is Private Function reporting for duty, sir!a2k
Btw, TC, that Anonymous poster was me, hehe, still getting used to typing in my user name each time I post. Most MBs I use store the user name and pass in a cookie....

WickedMystic.
WickedMystic
Opps. LOL. I overlooked your name at the end. After work I''m usally brain dead from sleepyness.

a2k
Your welcome. I''m flattered that something I have done has insprired someone.

okay, maybe i''m just a little lazy, or maybe it really is tht hard, but how can i obtain a direction vector from using these quaternions? or is the only way using euler angles, and using sin, cos etc? (i hope there''s an easy way.)

a2k
oh yeah, and TC,
do you even use quaternions, or straight rotation matrices.

a2k
a2k

I use quaternions and the "quaternion to rotation matrix" function to turn my game objects. I attach my camera to a game object. When it is to for the camera to project a scene, I get the current eular angles that game object has. I then peform that well known world-to-camera projection using eular angels.

how do you guys obtain a direction vector from quaternions? (yeah, i posted that 3d direction vector topic) it tried to use axis/angle conversion, but unfortunately, that didn''t help much cuz the axis was pretty arbitrary. also, euler angles would lead me back to using sin/cos, which is what we''re trying to avoid with quaternions, isn''t it? or is sin/cos the only way to obtain a direction vector from euler angles?

a2k

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement