[java] Merry Christmas Java developers! (Microsoft to ship Sun's Java)

Started by
28 comments, last by HenryApe 21 years, 4 months ago
As reported on slashdot, Microsoft has been ordered by a federal court to include Sun's implementation of Java in its operating system. Of course, we do not yet know what kind of direct consequences this ruling will have (if any), or if the will be upheld in the appeal's court, but the PR is a better Christmas present than we could ever have hoped for. Merry Christmas all Java developers! [edited by - HenryAPe on December 23, 2002 7:32:42 PM]
Advertisement
This is pretty stupid. Sun just seems like a whiney, spoiled kid who can''t get it''s way, so it goes crying to the courts.

Will other companies now start forcing Microsoft to ship their products along with Windows? Why don''t they have to ship ICQ with Windows? Why don''t they have to ship winamp? Or the Quicktime player? Or hundreds of other things which people seem capable of downloading themselves anyway?

Oh well, I guess it''s a good thing that Windows will come with Java again...

If I had my way, I''d have all of you shot!

codeka.com - Just click it.
quote:Original post by Dean Harding
This is pretty stupid. Sun just seems like a whiney, spoiled kid who can''t get it''s way, so it goes crying to the courts.

Will other companies now start forcing Microsoft to ship their products along with Windows? Why don''t they have to ship ICQ with Windows? Why don''t they have to ship winamp? Or the Quicktime player? Or hundreds of other things which people seem capable of downloading themselves anyway?

Oh well, I guess it''s a good thing that Windows will come with Java again...

If I had my way, I''d have all of you shot!

codeka.com - Just click it.

Im not really sure where I stand on this one, but if you want some fun go argue with the ., people, they''ll set you straight!
This ruling creates a bad precedent. How long do you think it will be before it used by other companies (and not just against Microsoft). People like Apple won''t be too happy when half a dozen companies start sueing (and winning because of the previous precedent) to have their buggy apps included in Mac OS/whatever (and Apple/whoever will be the ones getting tech support calls -$$$ and losing customer faith + thanks to faults in these 3rd party apps).
quote:Original post by Ratman
go argue with the ., people

Was that intentional?

For those who believe in God, most of the big questions are answered. But for those of us who can''t readily accept the God formula, the big answers don''t remain stone- written. We adjust to new conditions and discoveries. We are pliable. Love need not be a command or faith a dictum. I am my own God. We are here to unlearn the teachings of the church, state, and our educational system. We are here to drink beer. We are here to kill war. We are here to laugh at the odds and live our lives so well that Death will tremble to take us -- Charles Bukowski
--AnkhSVN - A Visual Studio .NET Addin for the Subversion version control system.[Project site] [IRC channel] [Blog]
MS violated a contract they signed. How is seeking redress in court whiny? At least this will get everyone up to 1.4.1.

"... we should have such an empire for liberty as she has never surveyed since the creation ..."
Thomas Jefferson
"... we should have such an empire for liberty as she has never surveyed since the creation ..."Thomas Jefferson
quote:Original post by GKW
MS violated a contract they signed.

They signed a contract to bundle a competing product with Windows?
--AnkhSVN - A Visual Studio .NET Addin for the Subversion version control system.[Project site] [IRC channel] [Blog]
quote:They signed a contract to bundle a competing product with Windows?

No, they agreed to bundle Java (their JVM) with Windows, but broke the contract by making it incompatible. It wasn''t a competing product at the time, it just became one once Microsoft decided to put together .NET and therefore needed to drive Sun out of the marketplace.

Star Dart - Java Multiplayer Space Combat at http://www.stardart.net/
I think is good for the Java game developers.

I wouldnt mind if Java wasnt shipped with Windows...if only the lazy end users would download the VM (And if SUN for the love of God would make it smaller)
"There is a $500 fine for detonating explosives within the confines of a city"
quote:This is pretty stupid. Sun just seems like a whiney, spoiled kid who can't get it's way, so it goes crying to the courts.

The only people who sound like whiny kids to me are the Microsoft apologists who cry everytime the company gets the least bit of punishment or negative publicity for the crimes it has been convicted of. I am glad the judge that handed out this ruling does not seem to be one of them.

quote:How long do you think it will be before it used by other companies

I it is quite reare that a OS company breaches a contract with another company in order to ship a deliberately sabotaged version of the other company's product.

Forcing Microsoft to carry Sun's Java as compensation for abusing their monopoly powers and breaking their contract with Sun in order to sabotage Java is as just as a court ruling gets.

[edited by - HenryAPe on December 24, 2002 6:18:43 AM]

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement