Solved my DX 9 SDK Problem (Thought I'd post my solution)

Started by
4 comments, last by Aanidaani 21 years, 4 months ago
Hello again everyone! Well, yesterday I made a post about some problems that I've been having with getting the DirectX 9 SDK installed. I'm glad to say that I've solved the issues with the installation, and I thought I'd post my solution in case it might help someone else in the same position. First let me begin by describing the situation. On Monday, I heard about the recent release of DX9, and I went to the Microsoft site to download it. Everything went fine until I ran the installation executable. The problem was that once the installation tried to install new dll's, Windows would step in and prevent them from being copied with the message:
quote:"Warning, the software you are trying to install has not passed Windows XP Logo Testing (Tell me why this is important) and will not be installed. Please contact your System Administrator."
For most driver installations, there is a button to bypass this warning, but in the case of DirectX 9, no such choice was made available. This frustrated me greatly, as after retrying the installation and rebooting several times, nothing managed to work. Thus I began a search on Google for information pertaining to the problem I'd been having--to no success. As DX9 had been released only a few days earlier, there were no real solutions to be found, though many complaints similar to mine did pop up. What I then began to do was look for similar problems with other drivers, to see what the solutions for those problems were, and how they might be applied to my situation. Eventually I came upon a post on a message board which talked about how crypto. services should be enabled under services.msc, and, checking my services listing, I found that crypto. was already running. So I kept searching, and next I found a post detailing how to instruct Windows to accept all drivers. Again, I checked my settings, and they were already set to accept all drivers. By now I thought that the problem was not necessarily with the drivers, but that it was my previous DirectX 8.1 SDK that was causing the problem. (Which I should have dealt with earlier!) And so, after uninstalling it, I ran the DirectX 9 installation once again, to see if anything had changed--nothing did, however. At my wit's end, I decided to roll back to a system restore point before I had even tried to install the DirectX 9 SDK. Upon the completion of the restore, I went to my DirectX 8.1 SDK directory, and noticed that most of the files were not restored from my previous uninstall. I then decided that I was going to reinstall the 8.1 SDK and get on with my programming. Heading to the Windows Control Panel, I found that though there was a listing for the DirectX 8.1 SDK, I could not access the uninstaller. Loading up another new copy of the SDK from a disk, I finally managed to get to a menu where I could uninstall the old SDK files that were left over. Then it was simply a matter of reinstalling the 8.1 SDK again. The 8.1 SDK installed perfectly, and following a reboot, I created a system restore point and decided to try my luck one last time. Going to Microsoft.com once again, I downloaded a new copy of the DX 9 SDK, and uttering a prayer, I ran the installer. This time, for no reason other than divine influence, the installation went smoothly, and I now had the DirectX 9 SDK. I'm not exactly sure of what I did to get the new SDK to install, other than possibly restoring some corrupt files when I re-ran the DX 8 SDK installation. I didn't mean for this post to get so long, but I thought that since I've benefited from these boards numerous times, someone else might benefit from this post. Thanks for taking the time to read this, and may you all have the best of luck with DirectX and all your programming endeavors. Merry Christmas! *Note: Just in case you want to know, I'm running Windows XP Home edition, and I have no other users on this computer, so I am the administrator! (In reference to the error message posted above.) "Ignorance is the sin of the many, whereas knowledge is the salvation of the few." Aanidaani [edited by - Aanidaani on December 25, 2002 11:28:21 AM]
"Ignorance is the sin of the many, whereas knowledge is the salvation of the few."Aanidaani
Advertisement
Maybe the problem was that the download was corrupted so that the digital signature would not recognize the file as a genuine one and refused to install.

I used to have a lot of problems with web packages... every time I wanted to download something rather big (more than 50 megs) I had to download it twice at least before it worked.

- My two cents of sanity

>> This time, for no reason other than divine influence <<

LOL! funny as hell(no pun intended)

I went with separate c++ dx9 download. I downloaded the dx9 debug runtime, dx9 sdk and extras folder. Installed and runs fine on my win98/vc++ 6 system. Btw, what compiler you''re using? I read at ms site that vc++ .net works only on winxp pro is that true? How about winxp home or win98?
I''m using MS Visual Studio .Net Professional, and I''m running XP Home. No problems with the software at all. It''s only DirectX that has trouble...

"Ignorance is the sin of the many, whereas knowledge is the salvation of the few."

Aanidaani
"Ignorance is the sin of the many, whereas knowledge is the salvation of the few."Aanidaani
Hey, that''s very interesting Thanks for mentioning that.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement