auto update server

Started by
5 comments, last by Krisc 21 years, 4 months ago
This doesn''t pertain to OpenGL but I have no clue where to post it so I though, what the heck go for it! I am trying to build a server that can be connected to and downloaded from. The server needs to be able to open multiple connections and I don''t know how to do this...soo, does anyone have any clue? <- Digital Explosions -> "Discipline is my sword, faith is my shield do not dive into uncertainty, and you may live to reap the rewards" - (Unreal Championship)
Advertisement
fork() on incoming connections?

Or do something similar to Apache and keep a "pool" of servers running, if more requests come in spawn more processes.
quote:Original post by TravisWells
fork() on incoming connections?
Or do something similar to Apache and keep a "pool" of servers running, if more requests come in spawn more processes.

Do you have any idea what you''re talking about?

To the original poster: Look up the Winsock API, and start posting in the appropriate Networking forum.

swift URL | browse my bookmarks [server may not always be on]

Sensimed | Info/download
ok thx for pointing me to networking...where r these forums... up there in community->forums ...?

and by the way, im using winsock from vb6, in visual basic .net hehehehe,

i know how to connect, i was wondering how to do multiple connections...

<- Digital Explosions ->
"Discipline is my sword, faith is my shield
do not dive into uncertainty, and you may live to reap the rewards" - (Unreal Championship)
Create an array of sockets by placing a single control down, and making its index equal to 0. Set a port. This will be your listening socket.

In the connection request, you will need to spawn newer instances of the control, (or reuse existing and non-connected ones) and have them accept the requestID .

That''s an entirely simplified explanation for VB Winsock communicating, but I''m ready to sleep. You can find countless Winsock tutorials floating around the Internet.

Have fun.

swift URL | browse my bookmarks [server may not always be on]

Sensimed | Info/download
But try to find a single good Winsock or System.Net.Sockets.Socket example for VISUAL BASIC .NET on the web and I will be shocked beyond belief. I have searched all day and nothing Urgh, its all C# tutorials but I guess I could TRY and translate the code, but I too am sleepy.

<- Digital Explosions ->
"Discipline is my sword, faith is my shield
do not dive into uncertainty, and you may live to reap the rewards" - (Unreal Championship)
Why bother writing a customer server? Just host the files on a web server and download from there. The advantages are many: you don''t need to write your own server software; you can use a free host to host the files; you can use the System.Net.HttpWebRequest classes to make it easy for you on the client; etc...

If I had my way, I''d have all of you shot!

codeka.com - Just click it.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement