Subliminal Messaging

Started by
23 comments, last by Landfish 24 years ago
Oh, yeah, and suggestive themes means something VERY different. (bown chicka bown booow... bow bow...)

=)
======"The unexamined life is not worth living."-Socrates"Question everything. Especially Landfish."-Matt
Advertisement
You want scary games?
Take a look at Alone In the Dark part 1. (Not 2 and 3!!).
Part 1 was freakin'' scary man!!! DOn''t know what made it scary (besides some really cool shocking scenes) however.

Best ever!

Jaap Suter

Mariorox

the Cartoonist
Marioroxthe Cartoonist
I'm sorry to razz on people, 'cause I've been doing it myself, but I really want to stick to the subliminal message thing. There are other forums for what makes horror games scary, and other techniques. Your suggestions are appreciated, but I want to keep this post readable in case anyone does know about his issue.

=)
Sick of these emoticons yet?

=p

Edited by - landfish on 5/4/00 9:43:08 PM
======"The unexamined life is not worth living."-Socrates"Question everything. Especially Landfish."-Matt
I wanna know how something that you can''t actually "see" or hear or even percieve at all actually affect the viewer. I know from my own personal experience of being a human being if I can''t see or read something I''m not going to have any reaction to it.
------------------------------"My sword is like a menacing cloud, but instead of rain, blood will pour in its path." - Sehabeddin, Turkish Military Commander 1438.
It''s proven that you don''t need to see it for it to affect you. Subliminal refers to subconsciousness. The message is displayed in such a way that the brain cannot see it, yet the mind still registers it. Coke was the first to use this widely, with a commercial at the box office a LONG time ago that actually had a message which read "Eat more popcorn, buy more coke" or something stupid. It was joint ventured with the cinema companies to attempt to use it to increase sales.. and it worked. Then they made laws against it Or at least for using it in that respect.
What happens is the eye and brain can roughly pick out 25 frames per second and tell them appart. Any faster than that and the motion appears to be a solid moving picture.. thus motion pictures were born.. still images which played at 32 frames per second, well above the nessicary ammount to fool the brain. This insured against people with good perception, and as far as I know, no one can pick out 30 frames per second. It''s all very interesting in terms of how our mind works.. and how we see things. For instance, the lines on the middle of the road when you''re driving at 80 look to be 10 feet long, while they''re actually 3 feet. Perception in terms of judgement of distance being acturate, the line is actually appearing warped to your mind. This is because the brain cannot process the motion of the line, as it''s moving too fast. Thus it appears to be a long blurred line.
This is also good for understanding slow motion and such, and why we can do things like that in the matrix although.. that''s best discussed further in email if you wish.
As far as Landfish''s idea.. i believe it''d be deemed illegal. The reasons would be the sheer chance of accidently causing someone''s death. Not directly.. not by saying "go kill yourself" but by doing something like scaring the shizzit outta someone till they get a gun and blast the mailman when he comes over next.. simply cause in your game the mailman turned into some hideous monster and your subliminal messaging read "do it! do it! kill him!" or something like that. It''s a very tough question, and i believe you''d have to publish a visable warning about this. As well as give examples in the manual of the things said.. perhaps even full disclosure of all scenes with subliminal messaging.
I''d deffinately ask a lawyer first.. someone who would know. I might actually trek to our school''s law library, where we have a free law clinic where you can get help with issues like this.

J
Ok, Well.. I asked someone who would know and I was told that ALL subliminal messaging is illegal. The reason for this is that the psycological effects and side-effects of subliminal messaging still aren''t fully known. Even a harmless subliminal side effect could have a long term psycological effects that we''ve yet to discover, so it''s been deemed as illegal to use in any way, unless you''re doing it to yourself.. i suppose they can''t stop that

Anyways.. just thought you might like to know that it''s a futile quest right now.. but a really cool idea Think about it in any game.. wargames having ones to pump up your adrenaline.. etc Oh well.. not yet!

J
quote:Original post by Landfish
Why cool? because there are two ways to make a game scary right now, short of this idea. One, you make it gorssly hard, so that you die. This works (kinda) in examples like DOOM, but the player quickly becomes jaded and keeps his cool instead of wetting his pants. Second, you rob the player of control, al la Resident Evil. This is good because it makes use of horror cinematic technique, but bad because, well, the controls suck.

You thought Doom was grossly hard?? After just a little practice, there was virtually no room you couldn''t just run into with guns blazing, sidestep around a bit, and mow everything down. But I was always too scared to play that way I guess perceptions vary from player to player.

And I thought Resident Evil was laughable, not scary, but there you go.
It becomes scary when you fear for your life. You can fry his brain as much as you like, but if he doesn''t give a damn, he doesn''t give a damn.

However, that could have people pissing all over themselves if they were scared anyways .

The_Minister
1C3-D3M0N Interactive
[email=mwronen@mweb.co.za" onmouseOver="window.status='Mail The_Minister'; return true" onmouseOut="window.status=' '; return true]The_Minister[/email]1C3-D3M0N Interactive
A couple of things. First, I believe there is a loophole regarding the use of IMAGES rather than messages. My bad, I know.
I was considering flashing Images in context on the screen, not messages (i KNOW that would be illegal). But if mainstream hollywood movies like Blair Witch or Fight Club can do it without a warning, why not a game?

(For the record, I was not entertained by either ResEvil nor Doom, much less scared. The second ResEvil did give me a jump or two, I must concede...)

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement