OpenGL and Java

Started by
1 comment, last by Jerry Lynn 23 years, 11 months ago
I have previously worked with Java and Java3D, but I am now wanting to move to a more functional API. To develop in Java and DirectX requires giving up my development tools and adopting Microsoft’s tools with their proprietary extensions, so that is not an option (on top of that it doesn’t seem that Microsoft is committed to continuing to provide Java development tools). OpenGL seemd to be the way to go. I found information about proposals for OpenGL bindings from OpenGL.org, but most of the news seems to date from 1998. The most recent news item I found was from June of 1999, and at that time there still seemed to be no answer as to the prefered method for developing in Java and OpenGL. I would appreciate someone pointing me in the right direction. Which binding should I use? Does it matter? Are there any references that teach OpenGL in Java instead of C++? Thanks for the help. Edited by - Jerry Lynn on 5/5/00 10:56:11 AM
Advertisement
hello

actually, a group of friends and i are currently beginning to implement a software version of OpenGL for Java. give me a shout if your interested. pajoaqui@hotmail.com.
To the vast majority of mankind, nothing is more agreeable than to escape the need for mental exertion... To most people, nothing is more troublesome than the effort of thinking.
Look for GL4JAVA, it''s an OpenGL implementation for java.

You can also look for idx3dIII which is a free 100% pure java 3d engine.

Use a search engine.
Sorry not providing the links.

-* Sounds, music and story makes the difference between good and great games *-
-* So many things to do, so little time to spend. *-

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement